ATV question, engine size!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hopefully this is the right forum.

Clearly we all love power and speed or we wouldn’t own Raptors. I’m considering an ATV to add to my fun, specifically a Can-Am Outlander.

should I go 850cc or 1000cc? I want to go on long trail rides, and even take a couple trips to UT and NV to explore. I want power but also don’t want to burn fuel unnecessarily.

Any suggestions?

MurderedOutSVT

Brodozin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A coworker just got an 850 yesterday and he told me that its stupid fast. He told me he's really considering taking it back because its just too much. It's crazy expensive but badass though

moog5050

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Own a 2018 can am max 1000. It was the most powerful ATV made in 2018. Plenty of power but you get accustomed to it. I would go for the 1000 unless the cost really makes a difference to you. Why settle for less.

RaptorAddict1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all great choice on an atv. I have never owned an outlander but know several people that have and they are great atvs.

I’ve been into atv’s for a long time. Started out with Yamaha’s in the YFZ scene and then moved into the big bore stuff. I’ve had 3 can am renegades over the years and still own one. I started with a 2013 renegade 1000 xxc that I put 4K miles on and I sold it. Eventually I bought my wife an 850 and last year sold that to upgrade hers to a 1000xxc. I ride a Polaris Scrambler 1000 S now.

As far as the difference between the 850 and the 1000 goes there is a bit of a difference. If you have never ridden a 1000 though and you have an 850 you will never miss the 1000. The 850’s have plenty. Both of them are A LOT of motor for someone who doesn’t have a lot of experience on an atv. But the 1000 is pretty incredible and that would be my choice. The v-twins from can am just have an incredible amount of low end torque in either application.

At the end of the day it comes down to cost and if you are willing to pay more to get some extra power. Either engine will be great.

One probably more important thing to consider is what trim or model of the outlander are you getting? The different models are set up specific to riding styles so you want to make sure you get the right one for you.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go for the 1000. i was in a friends 1000 and to me it still seemed slow. had fun, however i came from a 1300 motorcycle with nos so it might not be a good comparison. you can always go smaller for cheaper, but to go bigger is going to be more expensive. you dont have to need all the power, but to have it when you need it is the big question. are you ever going to be in a situation where you need more power and speed?

Diesel71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully this is the right forum.

Clearly we all love power and speed or we wouldn’t own Raptors. I’m considering an ATV to add to my fun, specifically a Can-Am Outlander.

should I go 850cc or 1000cc? I want to go on long trail rides, and even take a couple trips to UT and NV to explore. I want power but also don’t want to burn fuel unnecessarily.

Any suggestions?
I have a Polaris 1000 XP Turbo, 2 seater. Most fun toy I have ever owned and very fast. Can't reco enough on getting a side by side if you can. Raptors are fun, RZR's are a f'ing blast man. Get the 1000, you won't regret it.

Diesel71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go for the 1000. i was in a friends 1000 and to me it still seemed slow. had fun, however i came from a 1300 motorcycle with nos so it might not be a good comparison. you can always go smaller for cheaper, but to go bigger is going to be more expensive. you dont have to need all the power, but to have it when you need it is the big question. are you ever going to be in a situation where you need more power and speed?
A motorcycle (with NOS no less!) vs a side by side??? Umm, no that is not a fair or a good comparison at all. :shakehead:

Diesel71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A coworker just got an 850 yesterday and he told me that its stupid fast. He told me he's really considering taking it back because its just too much. It's crazy expensive but badass though
Your coworker sits down to pee.

Last edited:

RotorHead695

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two Polaris 4-wheelers, one is a 1000 and the other is an 850. Both are crazy fast and have tons of power. The 850 will get to the same top speed as the 1000, it just takes slightly longer (~80 mph is the top speed). I haven't even needed to put the 1000 into performance mode. Pretty much stick with standard or work modes. I also do more of the grunt work with the 1000 like dragging trees/stumps and hauling my trailers. It was a tow rating of 1,500 lbs. There are built on the same chassis, so the only real difference is the slight boost in HP.

I think if you are going for a SxS you should get the 1000 as you will have even more weight than my 4-wheeler and it's 900 lbs.