GEN 1 At What Mileage Do Expensive Repairs Start Happening?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Gen 1 Raptor in the color I like (Molten Orange which were 2011-2012 I believe) so they are quite old. Most of the ones I've seen have between 60K and 120K miles. I'm someone who has never purchased a vehicle used with more than 30K miles and prefers to buy or lease new.

Because of that I'm lost and trying to figure out the sweet spot in mileage on a used Raptor for two reasons. The first is I want to make sure I have them budgeted when they are likely going to happen but also so I don't have any major surprises like transmission, etc. I'd rather spend a bit more and get lower mileage to avoid that.

I know the shocks need to be rebuilt every 30,000 miles or so and that runs $1,000 (if what I've read is correct) but what other major repairs come up outside of oil changes, flushes, etc? What mileage do those typically happen? Is 110,000 miles that much worse than 50,000, etc?

Thanks!

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Gen 1 is a solid platform. The 6.2 (and even the 2010 5.4) is a great motor when properly maintained. The same can be said for the transmission. Less than mileage, proper care and not thrashing on them are more important than the miles. In other words, I'd take a 110,000 mile truck that was taken care of over the 55,000 mile truck that was ridden hard and put away wet. Carfax and Oasis reports, as well as a close inspection will tell you all you should need to know.

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 148,000 and the ONLY thing I had to replace was 1 coil pack for 250 bucks

PNW Raptor

Reaction score
100k on a 6.2 Raptor is fine, barely broken in! Look for one-owner examples if you can find them, get a pre purchase inspection and you'll be fine. Yes, plan on rebuilding the shocks on whatever truck you get whether it has 50k or 100k, chances are they will need done or will soon. Also plan on swapping in new fluids. You can get a 100k mile Raptor of that year in good shape for around $30k, more like $40k for one with 50k miles. You might find one certified used with warranty left if you want to spend the higher end of the range.

Stefan

Reaction score
I purchased at 2011 with 61k miles a year ago for $33k. Had 1 owner who drove it as it was intended. I swapped out all the spark plugs and ignition coils, changed all the fluids except transmission as that had just been done. I did have my positive battery terminal corrode and start giving me issues but I swapped that out myself and have had no other issues mechanically or electrically. There was some rust underneath that I am still in the process of cleaning and restoring but other than that it has been solid.

marcm

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I'am the only owner of my truck & I just turned 107,000. Other than routine maintenance within the last year I've replaced the transfer case it wouldn't disengage out of 4WD & was cheaper+warranty to put in a new one. This Summer my A/C evaporator coil had a leak in it & was replaced but nothing else it has been a solid truck!!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Shocks and steering racks are the only things that all Gen 1 Raptors will need replaced at some point. Everything else is pretty much bulletproof. The "standard" 09-14 F150 issues are there, rear window/defrost shattering, leaky third brake light, etc, but those really have nothing to do with mileage and it's all been figured out at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free