AT&T Satellite Equipped Mainstream Smart Phone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AT&T has a new smart phone called TerreStar Genus that is a cell phone with satellite backstop.

This could be an invaluable (and lifesaving) tool for Raptor owners, campers, etc.

Just this weekend while camping, cell phone coverage was spotty.

Story, price and details here:

http://skunkpost.com/news.sp?newsId=3238

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A less expensive solution that many offroaders use is shortwave radio. Using repeaters gives them long distance communication and except for the cost of the radio, it's free.

The bonus with going this route is you have excellent vehicle-to-vehicle communication on the trails - much better than FRS or CB radios.

(I've got a hand-held Yaesu SW radio but still haven't gotten my license).

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A less expensive solution that many offroaders use is shortwave radio. Using repeaters gives them long distance communication and except for the cost of the radio, it's free.

The bonus with going this route is you have excellent vehicle-to-vehicle communication on the trails - much better than FRS or CB radios.

(I've got a hand-held Yaesu SW radio but still haven't gotten my license).

Good ideas but those aren't phones.

Can't just pick up one of those and dial 911, family, the office (if your work is mission critical, mr server admins) or American Express for some examples.

I think all products listed serve different useful purposes (probably more so for us) than the Sat phone especially at that price point.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually almost anywhere on the planet you can get offnetted from a ham radio to the telephone network. In fact many of the calls home from soldiers in Gulf War 1 were done this way (phone to ham to ham to ham to phone)...

Hell you can get on the internet via short wave...

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually almost anywhere on the planet you can get offnetted from a ham radio to the telephone network. In fact many of the calls home from soldiers in Gulf War 1 were done this way (phone to ham to ham to ham to phone)...

Hell you can get on the internet via short wave...

Frickin awesome and I did not know that, but is that easy to do? Does anything need to be set up or known prior to make that work? For Joe Schmo customer who struggles with turn signals, how feasible is it to get going?

Would like to learn more about this if it's a turn key operation.

Thanks in advance.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is fairly complex, but there are all kinds of guides available for the newb... the key is to get in with your local ham radio group and get licensed.

full disclosure I have put off getting licensed until after I graduate... gotta maintain that GPA...

OP
OP
X

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is fairly complex, but there are all kinds of guides available for the newb... the key is to get in with your local ham radio group and get licensed.

full disclosure I have put off getting licensed until after I graduate... gotta maintain that GPA...

Pretty cool to know that functionality can be attained for the technically inclined!