At home DIY ceramic coating...save some cash!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evoke35

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting. Been wanting to try a ceramic coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RR_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used Chemical Guys clay bar, wax and ceramic coating in October and it's holding up great. PA winters and salt aren't the easiest on paint, but I washed it up over the weekend and looks amazing.

EMY92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a ceramic coating after buying my 2018. I coated everything except the tires (I have a specific tire coating for those). It was a lot of work, but the coating is still in great shape after 3 years (my Raptor is kept in my garage and I have worked from home the entire time I've owned it).

The best part was the windshield, it was like having a much better version of Rain-X that didn't need to be applied every couple of months. The windshield's coating lasted 2 years and was still in good condition when I removed it and applied another coat.

I have ordered more ceramic to apply to the new truck when it arrives. The only downside to ceramic is that it is a lot of work. Prep work is the key and it's best not to cut corners.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been using Meguiar's nano tech products since I bought my Raptor in 2014. Meguiar's wash and wax, both water and waterless have been my go to products. I returned Meguiar"s ceramic wash and wax after reading the warnings on the label.

MrLiou168

Reaction score
Same here
This was me until I simply ran out of time. Now it's Avalon King Armor Shield IX I buy for about $40/bottle and pay a detailer friend $500 to apply. Good for at least 3 years and I top off with either Optimum Paint Guard + or Opti Seal WOWA every wash. Simple, cheap, easy, and effective.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Jescar Powerlock and Collinite 845; I'm not against ceramic coatings but I enjoy detailing for the most part.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Ive used a couple ceramic coats(some pro brand and black diamond) and they’re pretty good, just dont see the time of work/benefits vs a good wax/poly job. Maybe theres better stuff out there thatd make me rethink it but i have yet to try any.

I use Jescar Powerlock and Collinite 845; I'm not against ceramic coatings but I enjoy detailing for the most part.
I was on the chem guys truck and saw collinite 845 and gave it a try. Im now a big fan.

mattio

Reaction score
same here, Jescar Powerlock + Collinite 845. Trucks black, looks amazing. I also recommend Maguires ceramic spray wax and using beadmaker as a drying aid, this combo is EASY and looks great too. I enjoy detailing my truck every week or so, so I don't mind taking care of small imperfections that occur in the paint. Ceramic would be geared toward the guy who doesn't care to spend much time detailing and simply wants to hit his truck with a power washer once in a while and be done.