Are there any exhaust that make this truck sound good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kpg81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why modify the exhaust of this truck - I don't get it. Why even waste the money.

marcomilano77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Corsa's x-pipe installed and their muffler. I was told by Corsa that if I put my stock muffler back on (instead of using their muffler), that the sound level would be very close to stock.

I have the Corsa Sport (muffler only) and I love it. Not too raspy...just louder over 3000rpm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Corsa Sport (muffler only) and I love it. Not too raspy...just louder over 3000rpm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with your comments. That is what I started with in an effort to fix my gas pedal vibration issue, but it didn't work, so Corsa recommended that I add the X-pipe. The X-pipe fixed the vibration, but also made my exhaust system fairly loud. That said, I kind of like it. The only time I don't necessarily care for it is if I am cruising at 75 MPH or higher on the highway. Below that speed everything is pretty quiet, but starting at 75 MPH you will hear a constant note from the exhaust which can get old on long trips.

As for the sound difference, the Corsa muffler definitely provides a better sound than the stock exhaust and a little more rumble without being extreme. If you add the X-pipe, it is a lot louder, but the sound deepens and it honestly sounds like an eight cylinder.

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Why modify the exhaust of this truck - I don't get it. Why even waste the money.

I only did it because my gas pedal had the most annoying vibration caused by something the dealer called "harmonic frequency vibrations". As he described it, because the truck has a true dual exhaust, your get sound waves pulsing down both exhaust pipes which somehow play against each and can cause vibrations at certain frequencies. By adding the X-pipe, the sound waves are forced to cross and balance out which helps eliminate the harmonic frequency issue. I never thought I would like a much louder exhaust system, but in the Raptor, it really works for me in most situations.

Here is how I would summarize my experiences modifying the exhaust system. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would give the stock exhaust a 4 for the amount of noise. It definitely does not sound like an eight cylinder, but I didn't hate how it sounded. If you add just the Corsa muffler, I would say the sound level goes to a 6 with a slightly better note (a little deeper). If you add the X-pipe to the Corsa muffler, the sound level jumps to a 10, but the sound is much deeper and sounds like an eight cylinder.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
I would disagree with the statement “sounds like an 8 cylinder “. While the corsa with x-pipe does sound a bit better, it still sounds like a semi from the 1970s. It has a loud, hollow burble.

Once Borla has had a chance to play with the polyphonic mufflers and tune the length for proper ecoboost sound (deep, full sound), you will have a winner.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would disagree with the statement “sounds like an 8 cylinder “. While the corsa with x-pipe does sound a bit better, it still sounds like a semi from the 1970s. It has a loud, hollow burble.

Once Borla has had a chance to play with the polyphonic mufflers and tune the length for proper ecoboost sound (deep, full sound), you will have a winner.

I am not sure what you mean by hollow, but I respect your opinion. All I can say is that I have had the opportunity to listen to my truck side by side with a stock Dodge RAM V8 and I honestly think most people would have preferred the sound of my truck (the RAM owner did). Granted his truck was stock and my exhaust was a tad louder, but they both had a good deep V8 rumble from our perspective with my truck having what I would call a "stronger" and more "powerful" note.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
I guess what I am saying is the hollow, high pitch. It’s like diet pop versus regular pop. Diet pop is just missing that taste... lots of carbonation and no real taste. Regular pop is deep and flavorful.

What I find interesting is that other manufacturers know how to make a 6 cylinder sound good. I can’t believe ford can’t figure that out. For many years, they have struggled with all of their exhaust sounds. GM/Chrysler have figured it out.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Tuning a Raptor is plastic surgery on a model. Not everybody understands or agrees

SterlingE55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree.

The only caveat is that the cat backs on the raptor are good for 10 wheel horsepower and about 20 torque.

Downpipes make less. You’re lucky if you snag 5 ponies. It just isn’t where the bottleneck is located. They can come into play when you’re heavily modifying the rest of the engine.

Been waiting to see dyno prove downpipes gains.