Are the Gen 3's an overall Quality Issue? Prior Gen 2 owner, considering bailing on order.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Now if we could get BMW to make a truck similar to the Raptor, then we’d be in business. Although it would probably be a money pit after the first 5 years…
Wait a couple years Toyota may get on their knees again & beg pwetty please bmw can you build us a halo vehicle again?!?? Oh no?!!! Maybe Yamaha can at least build the engine for us then…if not them then Subaru baahahahhahahahahahahhahaha

Toyota “engineering”

That being said….I’ll admit it, a good chunk of the reason I’m in a 2020 & not a gen3 is b/c I was waiting for everyone else to pay over msrp & be the Guinea pigs….& then once they fixed all the BS (including the general F150 redesign gremlins) THEN I’ll upgrade, w/ a smile on my face, below msrp, on a 2025 model w/ all the kinks worked out before people start overpaying for the gen4 Raptor hybrid that will probably puke itself on delivery j/k lol!!!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
My new dealer submitted my order today. My allocation was moved up in line by Ford and pending any commodity constraints should be here by March-April.
Good luck.
My gen 2 ran great today!! No issues.
#MeToo
I was waiting for everyone else to pay over msrp & be the Guinea pigs….& then once they fixed all the BS
You know, my ’17 has been REPRESENTING well since purchase. I got her in January of ’17 and she’s been exactly what you’d expect from a purchase that big - starts when asked, stops when asked, reliably gets me to and from, whether I’m just cruising or doing stupid human tricks. I know we’ve had some members with trouble, some multiple times but I think the overwhelming majority have just had great trucks. As evidenced by the number of Jen Too to Jen Tres upgrades.

I really wonder how much of the ’21-’23 blues are just pent up frustration and if the numbers are really that much worse.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good luck.

#MeToo

You know, my ’17 has been REPRESENTING well since purchase. I got her in January of ’17 and she’s been exactly what you’d expect from a purchase that big - starts when asked, stops when asked, reliably gets me to and from, whether I’m just cruising or doing stupid human tricks. I know we’ve had some members with trouble, some multiple times but I think the overwhelming majority have just had great trucks. As evidenced by the number of Jen Too to Jen Tres upgrades.

I really wonder how much of the ’21-’23 blues are just pent up frustration and if the numbers are really that much worse.
It’s not even meant to be a “dig” @ gen3’s, I’m involved in the auto/OEM manufacturing biz & have some insight into the industry & specific challenges- all that aside, it’s kinda general knowledge that the first 1-2 years of fresh design cycle- particularly on vehicles like 1/2 ton trucks that often get thoroughly revamped to “keep up w/ the Jones’” tend to have more issues than at the tail end of the product cycle when more of the little kinks & gremlins that only pop up in real world longer term usage have been worked out.

Throw in the supply chain bottlenecks, trade war, & Covid BS & that phenomenon is certainly going to be exaggerated.

This doesn’t change the fact that the vast majority of 2017 Raptors are fine, but what’s simultaneously True (most likely) is that the volume of general
Issues reported on 2017 Raptors is far greater than 2020’s

I’m sure the same will ring true for 2021 vs 2025s

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Do we actually have some hard numbers to look at?

WKUSMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This.

You always hear more negative comments on something vs positive. If you enjoyed your Gen 2, I would get the Gen 3.
Gen 3 is fantastic, who cares if you have issues with it make Ford buy it back. There is no risk. I had a few paint issues and they did a great job. I have my Raptor R coming and it will be the last new truck. Too much dinero.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen 3 is fantastic, who cares if you have issues with it make Ford buy it back. There is no risk. I had a few paint issues and they did a great job. I have my Raptor R coming and it will be the last new truck. Too much dinero.
I said that it was my last truck on Gen 1, then again on Gen 2, this gen3 has been almost perfect, a couple weird events and the clunk, new rear shocks and I have perfect truck. R coming soon. Lol

Gary Gere

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purchased a special order 2019 GEN2 had 1 problem (cam phasers) in 33,000 miles. I was very happy and not thinking about selling. In May 2020 brought it to the dealer for an oil change, and made me an offer I couldn’t refuse, almost what I originally paid for a trade-in and said they would sell me a similar GEN3 for MSRP when available. I have 9700 miles on my 2022 GEN3 and have not had a single problem. IMHO it’s much better than the GEN2 ymmv.

Last edited:

TriGui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I said that it was my last truck on Gen 1, then again on Gen 2, this gen3 has been almost perfect, a couple weird events and the clunk, new rear shocks and I have perfect truck. R coming soon. Lol

You had a transmission clunk and they replaced the rear shocks? Can you elaborate please? lol

G3Rap

Reaction score
My Gen3 is about to hit 1k miles and I love it. No problems so far. I bought it knowing it was “missing” certain items (heated steering wheel, Torsen, etc.) BUT I got it at MSRP and I got the thing I wanted the most: no sun roof.

Raptor’s (and vehicles in general) aren’t going to get any cheaper with future generations - $95k MSRP for a “base” 2024/5 Raptor anyone? Ford is also moving to an “Order Only” business model for select vehicles (I.e. Ford Performance vehicles like the Raptor). So, good luck “shopping around” for trucks on the lots.

So, I would say buy now if you like what you are seeing in gen3 before the price hikes.

Last edited:

MNLeadfoot

Reaction score
Try to find yourself a good dealer that will take care of any issues and cross your fingers it wasn't built on a Friday lol. All jokes aside I think people read too much into the issues with the gen 3s, buy it enjoy it and don't look back!