Are the Gen 3's an overall Quality Issue? Prior Gen 2 owner, considering bailing on order.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fur_pig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2018 gen 2 new, sold it 13 months ago when I ordered my gen 3 which has yet to be delivered over a year later. I never had an issue w/my gen 2 and it had a very hard life of cobb stage 2, over 15k miles of towing a travel trailer and lots of offroad abuse.

I'm likely a month or so away from delivery of my gen 3 and am getting a bit apprehensive based on all the "issues" I see on here and on the facebook pages I follow. Add this to the price hike when my order rolled from a 2022 to a 2023, Ford's terrible buying experience and the removal of heated steering wheel, requirement of 2k on board power etc. and I'm kind of over it.

Are these issues hyped up? Debating bailing on my order and stashing cash until the market decides what it's doing later this summer.

-exhaust rattle
-suspension clunk
-hvac worthless in auto mode
-auto sensing wipers don't work
-audio loud random pop noise
-4wd actuators failing
-fuses not being pushed in causing a bunch of random issues
-infant battery failures
-paint peeling off fender flares
-general cosmetic defects- paint issues on multiple threads

After tax I'm almost at $100k for this truck and can't help but ask myself why I'd spend that type of money for something that everyone seems to be having issues with.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think you're way over thinking it. But it's your choice. If you choose to buy it and it's a lemon, it's all on you. If you don't buy, then it isn't "your fault". Can you live with being wrong? It's a super power, so my advice is to work on that. And to buy the truck. If it's a lemon, work on your super power. If it's not a lemon, well then you've got a great vehicle. I don't see how you can lose.

RaptorFan1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one can tell you if this is a wise financial decision for you other than yourself. What I can say from personal experience is that 99.9% of owners only experienced one of these issues and not the entire list (myself included - exhaust rattle). What I can tell you for sure is that defects aside, the overwhelming majority would still say that they love their Gen3s and they were worth the wait. It’s a vast improvement over the Gen2 in many ways. A lot of these issues haven’t been reported in a very long time and have likely been resolved as part of the manufacturing process.

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2018 gen 2 new, sold it 13 months ago when I ordered my gen 3 which has yet to be delivered over a year later. I never had an issue w/my gen 2 and it had a very hard life of cobb stage 2, over 15k miles of towing a travel trailer and lots of offroad abuse.

I'm likely a month or so away from delivery of my gen 3 and am getting a bit apprehensive based on all the "issues" I see on here and on the facebook pages I follow. Add this to the price hike when my order rolled from a 2022 to a 2023, Ford's terrible buying experience and the removal of heated steering wheel, requirement of 2k on board power etc. and I'm kind of over it.

Are these issues hyped up? Debating bailing on my order and stashing cash until the market decides what it's doing later this summer.

-exhaust rattle
-suspension clunk
-4wd actuators failing
-infant battery failures

After tax I'm almost at $100k for this truck and can't help but ask myself why I'd spend that type of money for something that everyone seems to be having issues with.
To be honest I don't think the Gen3s have more quality issues than Gen2s. I say go for it and don't worry about it, not many of those occur to most owners.

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
I loved my Gen 2 but I love my Gen 3 even more. Like stated above, you may only experience one of the issues you noted, probably not all. I have no regrets with my Gen 3, even with a few issues it is still the best truck I have owned. I have been critical of Ford's issues as well, but here I am loving my Raptor. Get the truck or don't, but I am glad I did.

Last edited:

BADJUJU

Reaction score

-exhaust rattle
-suspension clunk
-4wd actuators failing
-infant battery failures

I'd call that list an even trade over Gen 2's dreaded oil pan leak, timmimg chain rattle / cam phaser issue.

all truck / car makers have a 'list' of concerns.

NJ2020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thing about vehicles is you can always buy another one. And unless you are paying massive ADM you’re not really going to hurt yourself selling before the warranty ends.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Add to that list leather seats with creases and wrinkles. I’ve got just about all of those issues on my 22. The buying experience was the worst ever but I love this truck.