Are the Fox Live shocks worth keeping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fasterthanyou

Reaction score
Looking at installing the Icon stage 4 kit or the Fox 3.0's with deavers, bump stops, etc.. BUT should I consider keeping the Fox Live shocks??? Aren't they supposed to be the latest and greatest Fox shocks?
Looking for the smoothest highway ride

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you are looking for a smooth highway ride, why the hell are you looking at Icon stage 4 kit or the Fox 3.0's with deavers, bump stops, etc..??????????????????????????????????

Stick with the live fox for the highway

3.0's, deavers, and bumps are for if youre gonna go out there and send it, and honestly, I dont think you would like it better on the highway.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The beauty of 3.0's are the adjustability! My ride is stiffer because I adjusted as so.

Bump stops don't have anything to do with highway ride. So that's not a factor.

Keep the live valve shocks, unless you seriously off road the truck.

Deavers are a must, they help a lot overall ride

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

D

Deleted member 12951

Highway? Keep it stock or get a Platinum or King Ranch

Off-road it and if you find that it’s getting rough and you still want to go faster then upgrade the suspension.

OP
OP
fasterthanyou

fasterthanyou

Reaction score
Yes I will still be offroading my truck and at these pricpoints is it too much to expect a progressive rate suspension? From my experience I guess I'm expecting the same or better slow and high speed handling over stock. I've read a lot of reviews stating that the Deavers are softer than stock but you can still beat in the dirt. Sounds like I'm expecting to much

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes I will still be offroading my truck and at these pricpoints is it too much to expect a progressive rate suspension? From my experience I guess I'm expecting the same or better slow and high speed handling over stock. I've read a lot of reviews stating that the Deavers are softer than stock but you can still beat in the dirt. Sounds like I'm expecting to much

@waveslayer is right, deavers are great (I run +3 myself), and bumps dont affect highway ride.

I wouldnt say deavers are softer that stock. Stock is 4 leaves and I wanna say the deavers are 13 or 14 leaves. They are very progressive, and the removal of the stock blocks really helps with the chatter.

Sounds like maybe try some collars and deavers and keep the live shocks and see how you feel about it.

Krillin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got +3 deavers as everyone else says it's quite noticeable.. it does feel more planted.. but I also had track bars installed same time

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So RPG has this plug (Damper Interface Decive (DID)) for us '19 owners with the Live system. Here's the product information from their page.

"2019 Gen2 Ford Raptor Fox Live Valve Bypass

With the introduction of the Live Valve system, aftermarket damper modifications are not as seamless as prior model year vehicles. Once the factory Live Valve dampers are removed, our team has found that the vehicle enters a faulted state. Consequently, Drive Modes are disabled and thus full Engine, Transmission, Anti-Lock Braking, Traction Control, Steering, and Driveline performance is restricted.

The Damper Interface Device enables users with full vehicle functionality with aftermarket dampers without any permanent modifications to the vehicle. The device is user installed in five minutes or less and enables full cluster functionality with aftermarket suspension systems.

Anyone considering taking an Off Road trip with 2019 up Raptors should order one of these up as a simple insurance policy. If any of the following are damaged or wires broken / crimped, live valves, ride height sensors or wheels speed sensors (ABS) the control system will go into limp mode. Depending on the severity, the truck may go into full limp mode which may include some of the following. Power Steering will not function, Engine power will be reduced, adjusting Terrain Modes will not be an option. This device will bypass the Live Valve controller fault. "
Source: https://www.rpgoffroad.com/product/2019-up-raptor-live-valve-bypass-did/

Has anyone with a '19 ran into this problem yet (broken wire) to validate this? From watching the some YouTube videos it looks like the solenoid for the dampers fails full open (Soft) if electrically disconnected. The unit is pretty pricey for an electrical plug, but if our 19's truly goes into limp mode if you break a wire I would think that this would be a must for off roading a 19+ raptor. What are your guys thoughts?

Kahuna

THE MORE YOU PLAY WITH IT, THE BIGGER IT GETS
Reaction score
Wait a few months. Fox is supposed to be releasing an aftermarket live shock upgrade shortly. Get the best of both worlds.