GEN 2 are red turbos normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
James Min

James Min

Reaction score
I use the term "cherries" somewhat in jest as they have to be the smallest OE turbos I've ever dealt with... that includes some afermarket two wheeled applications. Someday, I'll get around to bolting up a couple "tomatoes" like some of the others here have done.
I use the term "cherries" somewhat in jest as they have to be the smallest OE turbos I've ever dealt with... that includes some afermarket two wheeled applications. Someday, I'll get around to bolting up a couple "tomatoes" like some of the others here have done. :p
oh man you are funny. yea these red cherries do not cut it for me sometimes, i wish there was MO POWA. Becasue of my warranties and I am a *****, I probably will not go red tomatoes but instead hopefully the raptor r will be out by then. I wish all my luck to you and your truck. Happy holidays.

OP
OP
James Min

James Min

Reaction score
Geeze, you could cook on those things!
Looks like a potential fire hazard to me.

I work for the Sheriff's Office, and one of our F-150 EcoBoost patrol units had to have both turbos replaced. It was pricey.
For real, the metal next to all these plastic wires and stuff. But man if these ever blow up, I know who to blame. :33:

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geeze, you could cook on those things!
Looks like a potential fire hazard to me.

I work for the Sheriff's Office, and one of our F-150 EcoBoost patrol units had to have both turbos replaced. It was pricey.

Ease up there folks... this is not only common place but designed for. ALL housings and manifolds are designed for this. Alloys, density, material thickness, etc. It is not special, uncommon, nor unusual... AT ALL.

I made a good living for a while specializing in a specific "low displacement" turbocharged platform. No need for concern here as the engineers designed for this to live a long life.

I'm also a retired 28 year veteran of an SO with over 300 sworn Patrol staff every one with a take home patrol unit. No extraordinary or outstanding issues with the Fords per se. Sure there are examples of this or that, but nothing glaringly disproportionate to modern tech across most platforms turbocharged or not. Hell, the biggest gremlins are usually electronic!

OP
OP
James Min

James Min

Reaction score
Ease up there folks... this is not only common place but designed for. ALL housings and manifolds are designed for this. Alloys, density, material thickness, etc. It is not special, uncommon, nor unusual... AT ALL.

I made a good living for a while specializing in a specific "low displacement" turbocharged platform. No need for concern here as the engineers designed for this to live a long life.

I'm also a retired 28 year veteran of an SO with over 300 sworn Patrol staff every one with a take home patrol unit. No extraordinary or outstanding issues with the Fords per se. Sure there are examples of this or that, but nothing glaringly disproportionate to modern tech across most platforms turbocharged or not. Hell, the biggest gremlins are usually electronic!
Yes, u are right, I have had more troubles with electronics than the actual turbos or the engine itself.

oh man, you are funny. yea these red cherries do not cut it for me sometimes, I wish there was MO POWA. Becasue of my warranties and I am a *****, I probably will not go red tomatoes but instead, hopefully the raptor r will be out by then. I wish all my luck to you and your truck. Happy holidays.

OP
OP
James Min

James Min

Reaction score
I use the term "cherries" somewhat in jest as they have to be the smallest OE turbos I've ever dealt with... that includes some afermarket two wheeled applications. Someday, I'll get around to bolting up a couple "tomatoes" like some of the others here have done. :p
TBH my car went through a whole 3-month repair phase because of a faulty fuel injector and had problems with the harsh transmission. Do you think a tune would help? thanks for your input.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TBH my car went through a whole 3-month repair phase because of a faulty fuel injector and had problems with the harsh transmission. Do you think a tune would help? thanks for your input.
Soooo I've only had Goosetuned on my Raptor. Had countless tunes on other platforms. With that experience, I asked around and he had all the right answers to my questions. Then, after having both his 91 tune with intercooler and trans tune I've had no interest in even trying anyone else. Take that for what you will.

Will Winfield's tune smooth out your truck? For sure. Will it be enough to make you happy? Well that is subjective. However, you need only go to one of his threads to see all the satisfied folks who've given him a shot.

Last edited: