GEN 2 are red turbos normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
James Min

James Min

Reaction score
OP
OP
James Min

James Min

Reaction score
It's normal after driving the truck hard with turbos providing a lot of boost, otherwise it shouldn't happen. It's a good practice to let the truck idle for a few minutes after hard driving to let the turbos cool. There is a chance that oil will coke in the turbo and eventually cause turbo failure if they don't cool before turning off the ignition. The turbos are water and oil cooled but the engine has to be running to pump coolant through them.
thank you Terry, I appreciate your feedback.

OP
OP
James Min

James Min

Reaction score
For the most part, turbo coking in production automotive applications is 1980-1990s speak (I’m stretching it just a little bit). Although it is still probably not ideal to just shut it down with a couple glowing “cherries” under there, designs are much different with everything being turbocharged these days and 100-150k warranties.
For the most part, turbo coking in production automotive applications is 1980-1990s speak (I’m stretching it just a little bit). Although it is still probably not ideal to just shut it down with a couple glowing “cherries” under there, designs are much different with everything being turbocharged these days and 100-150k warranties.
thank you for your feedback. I do have an extended warranty so I am not too worried but was just curious about those glowing "cherries".

OP
OP
James Min

James Min

Reaction score
red turbos are 100% normal under any significant high load situation.

as discussed. early turbo cars of the 70's - 80's were all oil cooled. Shutting a car down when red hot allowed the oil to stop flowing and just cook inside the turbo and the bearings usually took the most damage.

many Porsches and Diesel trucks during this time used after market devices called Turbo Timers to have the car run for 1-5 mins after you turned the key off and left the car.

in modern turbo cars, they have added water cooling and after run pumps that continue to flow oil and water after the car is shut off.

Still, not a bad idea to baby the car for the final 1/4. ice before you park it. Since I can't really go crazy in my subdivision with any wide open throttle, this is not an issue for many of us.
I see, thank you for the feedback and tip. You are right, I probably should let it cool and go easy on the last couple miles before home or something even though the technology is still there.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thank you for your feedback. I do have an extended warranty so I am not too worried but was just curious about those glowing "cherries".
I use the term "cherries" somewhat in jest as they have to be the smallest OE turbos I've ever dealt with... that includes some afermarket two wheeled applications. Someday, I'll get around to bolting up a couple "tomatoes" like some of the others here have done. :p

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can do better. More load for a longer period will get the cats glowing red hot too.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Geeze, you could cook on those things!
Looks like a potential fire hazard to me.

I work for the Sheriff's Office, and one of our F-150 EcoBoost patrol units had to have both turbos replaced. It was pricey.