Are Gen3’s front Fenders & Flares a bit odd…or just me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

360North

Reaction score
Finally, saw a 37 pkg Gen3 ”in-person” recently (not mine) & as I walked around the truck, it occurred to me…that the rear of the front Fenders & Flares (on the door/mirror side) seem to be shaped a bit “odd” on the Gen3 as compared to the Gen2.

Like, the front (near the lights) is bulged out nicely, but then flattens as it moves rearward to the door…and relies solely on the Flare to keep the wheelwell pushed out (wider “shelf” on Flare as it wraps back)…it loses some body curves in the process. Where, on the Gen2…the Fenders carried a nice curvy “bulge” all the way to the door & were simply “complemented“ by the Flares. It’s hard to tell looking from the front, but you notice it looking down the side from the rear. Sort of makes the shape of the Flares seem like an afterthought…as in, “oops!…we forgot about the design-lines at the rear of the front Fenders, we need to compensate for that somehow, to achieve balance…hopefully, it won’t be noticeable.”…am I correct about this!?

I figure somebody that wants to develop aftermarket front Fenders/Flares for the Gen3…if you can correct that area & make it look proper (give it back it’s lost “curves”), you’ll have a HOT product!!

In any case, it won’t prevent me from buying or taking delivery of my order…just an observation.

Just my .02 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They sculpted the back side of the wheel wells. I think it looks cleaner and matches up with the door panels cleaner. It’s a personal opinions but I like both but wouldn’t say the Gen3 is worse because the flares compensate for the “sculpted” back side of the wheel wells. So I think the opposite of you, I think they put more detail into the fenders vs just make em wider.

Last edited:

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I passed a Black Gen 3 this past weekend on the highway and was thinking the fenders themselves do look more refined; but the fender flares look more "tacked on" and give the appearance of an ordinary F-150 with Bushwackers on it.....I prefer the Gen 1 & Gen 2 design approach where the fenders did the bulging, and minimized the transition to the flares.....................Oh, and the base Raptor tailgate needs to lose the huge indented "F-150" across it. That threw me, until I got closer to pass him. I was confused for a while until I saw the Raptor emblem and looked at the rear exit tailpipes....