Are downpipes and a intercooler worth it without a tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually not that big of a stretch, that’s a tuned truck to start with. No doubt he’s over-boosting, even if it’s only a little. His truck is rocking 37’s and putting out numbers a stock Raptor would be ok with. Some better, some same, some worse.

I’m open to the possibility that a CAC by itself may net some power on an otherwise unmodified truck, I just wouldn’t expect it to be massive. Until or unless you tune it and then gains will easily come.
Agreed.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You are correct. It can also flow better as well.

Not cooler air to the turbos, it cools the charged air exiting the turbo’s compressor before entering the intake manifold. It allows the charged air to be cooler and more dense, allowing for more power. The aftermarket intercoolers also have less pressure drop across the core making the entire system more efficient.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not cooler air to the turbos, it cools the charged air exiting the turbo’s compressor before entering the intake manifold. It allows the charged air to be cooler and more dense, allowing for more power. The aftermarket intercoolers also have less pressure drop across the core making the entire system more efficient.
Yes I read his post wrong. The IC is after the turbos.

OP
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks for that information. Your name fits you.

Ellison3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. I did the Full Race intercooler, throttle body spacer, and TurboSmart BOV. It was nice. But great after I got it tuned!!!

The tuner simulated a CAI by opening my OEM air box. He told me when my Full Race CAI came I could throw it on. The truck accelerated like crazy after the tune. When I put the CAI on it ran like dog !!! I was a little pissed off to say the least. Threw the stock intake back on, and Voila!!!

Anyway… all that is just an example of why you need to get the vehicle tuned to get the FULL benefits of the money spent. And, have all parts on hand for the dyno!!!

Since you’re doing the downpipes you will see a sweet increase in power. Throttle body spacer, and intercooler, got me at 603lbs per foot of torque at the wheels in my Expedition. Can’t wait to get downpipes as well. Then, I’ll have to head back to the tuner for a third time!!! Crap!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
2020FordRaptor

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. I did the Full Race intercooler, throttle body spacer, and TurboSmart BOV. It was nice. But great after I got it tuned!!!

The tuner simulated a CAI by opening my OEM air box. He told me when my Full Race CAI came I could throw it on. The truck accelerated like crazy after the tune. When I put the CAI on it ran like dog !!! I was a little pissed off to say the least. Threw the stock intake back on, and Voila!!!

Anyway… all that is just an example of why you need to get the vehicle tuned to get the FULL benefits of the money spent. And, have all parts on hand for the dyno!!!

Since you’re doing the downpipes you will see a sweet increase in power. Throttle body spacer, and intercooler, got me at 603lbs per foot of torque at the wheels in my Expedition. Can’t wait to get downpipes as well. Then, I’ll have to head back to the tuner for a third time!!! Crap!!!
The tuner is a fun place to go but I have a 8 year warranty so I will have to wait on that. Glad you had a hood experience with them though.

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You mean foot pounds (ft-lbs)...?