Are all truck batteries created equal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, this has me wondering. My BD lights are drawing power straight off the battery. I have a battery I bought from Autozone awhile back. About a year ago. Pretty much the cheapest one on off the shelf for my Ram1500.

It does its intended job of turning the truck on. Buuuuuuuut, does this battery provide my 20” ONX+ with all the nutrients it needs to run 100%? Would a nicer higher end battery be worth the investment? I plan I adding more BD light btw.

Thanks for the input :) 0b85ce4f931a9d99219224a9cf5207c7.jpg
f4ec9ac8c14fc3216df911f7a780302c.jpg
Bam!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You will not notice any difference IMO. A new battery might hold a bit higher voltage, but we aren't talking about incandescent lighting here. I don't think slightly upping the voltage to a LED driver makes any change from the output of the LED driver, assuming the initial voltage is high enough for it to function correctly in the first place.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not the battery. when your vehicle is running, its your alternator that provides power to the vehicle. however excessive current draw will eventually pull power from your battery so depending on how much current you are drawing, a battery may or may not help you. as far as battery life with the vehicle off, it depends on the batteries specs for ah, cca, etc.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
its not the battery. when your vehicle is running, its your alternator that provides power to the vehicle. however excessive current draw will eventually pull power from your battery so depending on how much current you are drawing, a battery may or may not help you. as far as battery life with the vehicle off, it depends on the batteries specs for ah, cca, etc.

Expect for he said his lights are wired straight to the battery. I get what you are saying, but it sounds like his lights DO draw right from the battery. His battery is powering his lights, then drawing current from the alternator to recharge.

I always hook stuff up to the "power point" underhood - IE the point where the alternator powerfeed splits off to go to the car and the battery. That way it's being powered by the alternator and any dips in voltage form the alternator are smoothed out by the battery.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you hook a wire to battery how do you make a charge go in before you use it? Only difference between battery connection and split connection is 2 feet of number 2 cable

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expect for he said his lights are wired straight to the battery. I get what you are saying, but it sounds like his lights DO draw right from the battery. His battery is powering his lights, then drawing current from the alternator to recharge.

I always hook stuff up to the "power point" underhood - IE the point where the alternator powerfeed splits off to go to the car and the battery. That way it's being powered by the alternator and any dips in voltage form the alternator are smoothed out by the battery.
it doesnt matter. the alternator is connected to the battery. the cuttent from the alternator flows to the battery and then from the battery goes to all electrical circuits. no matter where you connect to power, the alternator will be the source of power when the vehicle is running

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It will matter if any lights that are connected directly to the battery positive terminal are left on with the engine not running. You won't get any auditory warnings in the cab in that event, either. Avoid embarrassingly stranding yourself, and don't wire auxiliary lights that way. This is what the upfitter switches are for!

OP
OP
R

raptor36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the responses. I am still intrigued by the topic if anyone else wants to chime in. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk