Application desktop.exe error in Sync

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azoufan

Reaction score
First of all, no issues, it just crashed and rebooted. But most of all, my Sync system crashed and rebooted, and as a technology industry guy, it was glorious and hilarious.

Driving along and was hanging up a call, got a text message and apparently another call coming in on my iPhone (I received a VM notification after this all went down). Well apparently that is the proper use case to cause the Microsoft portion of the Sync system to lose it's mind. The screen went blank, then for less than 1 second, the nav screen displayed a very Microsoft Windows based error message dialog complete with an "OK" button that was titled "Application - Desktop.exe" and then whatever text below it describing the error. Bottom line, it crashed, screen went black and didn't come back until I pulled over and "rebooted" my truck by turning it off and back on again. I wish that I could have gotten a picture!

We all know that it's Ford Sync by Microsoft, but I guess I just didn't think that it was actually Windows underneath it all. Clearly XP embedded or something similar, but this had the theme of the old school title bar and buttons from Windows NT/2000. It's something you can turn on to look like the old stuff in XP and beyond. Nothing to see or do here, I just thought it was one of the funniest things I've seen in my truck to date. All is working fine again, a simple truck reboot fixed it all.

I need to find a thumbdrive and try to get Solitaire on there...