Apple Carplay Without USB Cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have been running this adaptor for the last 6 months...
https://carplay2air.com/

It works well...not perfect but it’s great. 99% of the time it connects on its own, call quality, Siri and everything else CarPlay related works as if it was plugged in.

the times is doesn’t connect it’s because the phone is locked into a previous WiFi ssid. All you need to do is select the adaptors WiFi and Bluetooth (it uses both) or unplug and replug in the adaptor. Adaptor has hardware updated as well, company answers support its all good and was worth the money, IMO.

Supposedly there’s another adaptor on amazon not sure about it but looks similar.

Looks like it connects reasonably fast. How long do you estimate from the time you turn on the truck?

Would surely need to get a charging pad working then. Wouldn’t always need charging, but many times you do.

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like it connects reasonably fast. How long do you estimate from the time you turn on the truck?

Would surely need to get a charging pad working then. Wouldn’t always need charging, but many times you do.

takes about 15 seconds or so, I haven’t noticed the battery draining faster...I haven’t gone on a long road trip either but don’t see it being a problem

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really. You have a link to these features?
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-ford-f-150-infotainment-system-features-info/

Wireless Smartphone Connectivity
You can keep the USB cord at home thanks to Sync 4's wireless compatibility with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Drivers can also access Sync AppLink apps such as Waze and Amazon Alexa.”

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...sync-4-brings-new-levels-of-connectivity.html

Wireless Phone Connection for Your Favorite Apps

With more customers pairing smartphones and mobile devices to their vehicles, SYNC 4 offers even more convenience by letting customers cut the cord. For the first time, Ford is implementing wireless implementation of both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as SYNC AppLink apps such as Waze or Ford+Alexa.

Customers will continue to be able to use both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi to enable simultaneous operation of in-vehicle entertainment and mobile device navigation while providing calls, music, and other features to be controlled through the vehicle's display. Available wireless charging capability also means you can juice up your compatible smartphone even while leaving the cords at home.

In addition to these features, Convenience Controls enabled by AppLink allow for the control of various vehicle features when equipped, right from your smartphone, such as lighting, climate or the radio.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s good, finally! They do have a wireless charging pad, so its well rounded now. I hope they integration better between Sync and Carplay now. They need to be accessible side by side in a split screen or have features of each more easily accessible. Sync 3 never matured to this level. I won’t be worrying about Sync 4 for a while.

SCMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any review on it?
It works ok, not great. It’s slow to connect 30-60 seconds), and sometimes it doesn’t always connect. The audio on phone calls sometimes lags behind. The charging mat is garbage. It didn’t even fit the truck. I tried to get a refund or sent it back, but the corona virus was in full swing in China and they would not respond to any email.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It works ok, not great. It’s slow to connect 30-60 seconds), and sometimes it doesn’t always connect. The audio on phone calls sometimes lags behind. The charging mat is garbage. It didn’t even fit the truck. I tried to get a refund or sent it back, but the corona virus was in full swing in China and they would not respond to any email.

Just to check, you have the exact same unit as mentioned above carplay2air? What version of Sync are you on?

SCMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to check, you have the exact same unit as mentioned above carplay2air? What version of Sync are you on?
Yep, same unit. I’m not sure what version of sync I’m on. I have a 2019 and I’m on the latest that you can get over the air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts