Apple Carplay Without USB Cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vegas_Sirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a solution to get Apple Car Play to work with out having to use the iPhone lighting cable? My wifes 330i BMW works fine over BT, and I hate having to plug in the phone all the time. Is there some type of BT adaptor that can plug in the USB port or?

coachhomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Pioneer 4500NEX and it works without a cable. I think the new Sony unit does as well but I would double check in that one.

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Pioneer 4500NEX and it works without a cable. I think the new Sony unit does as well but I would double check in that one.

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I'm talking about with the factory SYNC system.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
negative...BMW is one of the only ones who have the bandwidth in their bluetooth connection to allow this.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
negative...BMW is one of the only ones who have the bandwidth in their bluetooth connection to allow this.

Damn, that sucks. Is it the BT in the truck that's the issue or just the SYNC software hasn't been updated to support it?

IT8NTEZ

Reaction score
I hear you I have wireless carplay and QI wireless charging in my BMW daily driver and not in my Porsche or my Raptor. Yeah, yeah, first-world problems but more about changing the user experience from vehicle to vehicle. Next Gen will have it for sure.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to say, the BMW system is the bomb. Wireless, high resolution, and you can use both the CarPlay and the OEM systems simultaneously. I don’t even use CarPlay in the Raptor because I just can’t handle how crappy it is compared to the BMW and I hate having to plug the phone in.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn, that sucks. Is it the BT in the truck that's the issue or just the SYNC software hasn't been updated to support it?

My understanding is the BT protocal the sync 3 chooses to implement doesn't have the bandwidth. BMW solves this by integrating BT and wifi together to meet the bandwidth needs.

OP
OP
Vegas_Sirk

Vegas_Sirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say, the BMW system is the bomb. Wireless, high resolution, and you can use both the CarPlay and the OEM systems simultaneously. I don’t even use CarPlay in the Raptor because I just can’t handle how crappy it is compared to the BMW and I hate having to plug the phone in.

The plugging in is the worst part. Think I might do this with a cradle mount that has the cable ran behind the dash: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/builtrite-mount-67-design-and-ram-mounts.64848/

Santiago Palacio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone found a solution to get Apple Car Play to work with out having to use the iPhone lighting cable? My wifes 330i BMW works fine over BT, and I hate having to plug in the phone all the time. Is there some type of BT adaptor that can plug in the USB port or?
I saw someone buy a small device that connects to the usb cable and allows him to connect via bluetooth. I can't remember the name, but ill come back to this thread if i remember it