Anyone with the Borla S-type Exhaust + Borla Resonator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TYRCS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard some of these Subaru's and they sound deep!!! How are they doing it? It's a 4 cylinder just rumbling, its actually impressive!

Even the V6 mustang's sound mean its almost unbelievable. How has no after market company come out with a better sounding exshust for gen2s

Watch Revs - V6 Mustang 3.7 2012" on YouTube

TYRCS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have atak with resonator

Did you leave out the x pipe and just use the Atak mid section assembly and straight pipe all the way down then at the resonator at the end? If so did it get rid of that embarrassing loud fart noise and get rid of the back fires that happene once in a while? Curious to hear about your experience. Thank.

Mspeed

Reaction score
I got one for sale 275 shipped didnt install have an AFE rebal thought it would bolt up but it didn't. Dont want to hack a new resonator

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just adding a data point and hopefully some useful and updated info to this older thread (rather that starting a new one).

So I too have the Borla S-Type, and I usually drive short distances around town and actually like(d) the aggressive sound. After driving on the Interstate, as others have suggested, there is definitely a Maddening (for me anyway) DRONE. Since my wife has been with me on those Interstate trips, and won't let me turn up the music...I found I had to drop to 70 MPH and then up to 90 etc...To avoid the UN-Sweet spot of ~80 MPH.

So today, I took down the front piece (Resonator) of my OEM exhaust, and removed the X-Pipe from the Borla, and was in fact, able to replace it with the OEM Resonator. It does/did require a little modification, but nothing crazy. I basically had to cut off (with a SawsAll) the expanded/flared end of the outboard/left pipe on the OEM Resonator so the Borla sleeve would fit over it.

At any rate...Just letting others know it works if you want to try it. I took it out for a drive...and NO DRONE! Also nice and quite when you want it to be, and wakes up and gets nice and loud when you push the truck hard.

I did it rather quickly this afternoon, and used the extra clamp from the OEM too...just to make a good seal...But works perfectly and no leaks.

Good luck to anyone who may want to try it. Pretty easy and straight forward. You end up cutting about ~ 3" off the OEM pipe, and if you decide to go back to X-Pipe, the sleeve is undamaged and will still work and revert back.

DC
1s.jpg

2s.jpg

Last edited:

Stroked out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard some of these Subaru's and they sound deep!!! How are they doing it? It's a 4 cylinder just rumbling, its actually impressive!

Even the V6 mustang's sound mean its almost unbelievable. How has no after market company come out with a better sounding exshust for gen2s

Watch Revs - V6 Mustang 3.7 2012" on YouTube
Ghost cam tunes require a stick shift transmission