Anyone wire Driving lights relay to high beams yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Renomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id love to tap my LEDdriving lights relay into my high beam ckt but not sue if pullin a wire off the headlights feed would F the system?

Anyone seen any threads about this?

I could then route that hot line thruone of the upfitter switches so if thrown AND high beams are in my LEDs work in unison with the Highbeams only if the upfitter is on

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Below are the two pigtails you could splice those together and leave a tap out for parking lights, low beam, and high beam if you didn't want to splice into your factory wiring. Both are Motorcraft numbers. Connectors are for the Factory LED lights

WPT 1279
upload_2018-11-20_6-4-0.jpeg

WPT 1321
upload_2018-11-20_6-4-52.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Renomaan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx! I found an older thread where the guy has pics of the connector and which wire to tap into for Highbeam feed to relay.

I wasn't sure that would work as the driver ckt is a Mosfet and susceptible to pulldown loading, but people have done it and its working!

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given that the brights are LED, depending on the circuit controlling the brights, it's possible the relay could make a big negative voltage spike on its control terminal when the high beams are shut off since the lights' LEDs point the wrong direction to let the coil bleed off its energy through them in a graceful manner.

If the headlights were incandescent, it'd be a non-issue as the coil could dump its energy into the filament.

I don't currently have a schematic to see what's all involved in the brights' circuit; I'm curious if anyone knows why in this practical application, this should be a non-issue.

Else, I'm going to either make sure my relays have built in flyback circuit, or I'm going to add one to my installation. Not looking to reverse bias my brights' LEDs and overvolt other unknown components.

Last edited: