anyone went from geisers to new fox/icon coilovers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am surprised that you noticed such a rough ride when running the Geiser coils and the collars together. Have you given the truck enough time with the setup to break in the springs? I found that my ride quality with the Geisers did improve after offroading a couple times.

I own a Gen1 and installed Geiser progressive coils on my stock 2.5 Fox coilovers at mid perch (which I am assuming is similar to the Gen2 with collars). After two years I installed the Fox 3.0 coilovers. I know this may be comparing apples to oranges (Gen1/Gen2) but here are my thoughts on each setup since I have used them both:

Geiser Setup on mid perch:
  • On-road ride quality: Very comfortable, I didn't notice the ride being any harsher than stock coils at mid perch. It improved the driving feel and took some slop out of turning and braking.

• Front rake: It lifted the front up bit which gave the truck a more leveled appearance.

• Offroad: Handled well. I think the Geisers outperformed the stock coils when taking really big hits.

Fox 3.0 setup:
  • On-road ride quality: Very comfortable. Not a big change from the Geiser setup. Soft and comfortable. Because the coilovers are adjustable you can tune the ride a little but I would make the argument that it won't be that noticeable until you get offroad.

• Front rake: The ride height is adjustable so you can level it out as much as you want. I set mine slightly higher than the Geiser setup. Again, I didn't notice an increase in harshness while driving.

• Offroad: This is where this setup makes a difference. I was able to travel over whoops at greater speeds and felt like I wasn't pushing the suspension to its limits. I would even say it is confidence inspiring.

My takeaways:

If you don't plan to take your truck on desert runs on a semi-regular/regular basis, the 3.0 setup is probably overkill. I did several runs with the Geiser/2.5 setup with no issues and was very happy with it. That said, I prefer the 3.0 setup while offroading.

From an on-road perspective, I think the Geiser spring setup is a good way to go. The ride quality was great for me at mid perch, it helps level the rig and it is considerably less expensive.
I hope this helps in some way... Again, a Gen1 perspective in a Gen2 world, so take it for what its worth. :)

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe a month or so, not to long , i wanted it to be stiffer and remove the factory float that was in my opinion dangerous when trying to make quick turns, it did not feel like i had good control of it, with the geisers even with my sway disconnected it feels way more safer and i can take sharp turns and it handles great. my only complaint was the stiffness of the spring, i feel like i lost the wheel travel that the stock suspension provided, but i havent tested that so i can be to sure. i delfated the toyo mts to 40 psi instead of 45 and it got a little better , the higher psi in the stiff tires really made you feel every bump in the road, when the stock suspension i could go over speed bumps at speed and barly feel they were there but with this setup it doesnt go over bumps nearly as smooth as it used to. thats why im wondering how the aftermarket adjusteable coil overs are if set to the same lift amount as geisers provide, im sure it should be better, but i dont know if its 6k + better lol. dont have the spare change for them now , so il ride with my current setup for now, and wait to get more input from others that have done that mod to see if its something i will want to do , down the road .

Give the springs a bit more to settle out and then see how they feel. Like some others said taking them off road will also help break them in a bit. That's what I did and mine have been on for a year now and feel great.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did take it on some off roading when i went camping a couple days after the install, it wasnt much of a off road course though, they didnt feel bad on the road as it was soft dirt i was driving through, i been more concered on the wheel travel and the harshness of it when im trying to plow through speed bumps or other off road or on road bumps, it has been pretty stiff, the cornering of course is way better as its much stiffer even without the swap bar. im not trying to buy the new setup right now , just trying to get feedback from others. i have a feeling i may end up swapping for icon coilovers down the road though to get the most out of the trucks performance on and off road as i heard the icons are great for on road driivng as well and i had lots of experience with them so im pretty confident with thier brands. well give it some time and see if the next months which direction it takes me. thanks for your input.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give the springs a bit more to settle out and then see how they feel. Like some others said taking them off road will also help break them in a bit. That's what I did and mine have been on for a year now and feel great.
I suppose towing a trailer with a WDH would help to break them in also. What are the specs on the Geiser, I've tried calling them a couple times with no luck, maybe because I'm overseas. It's a progressive I know but I'd like to know whats the weight required to compress the first and second inch? 2.5 inch higher, doesn't put your shock out of its position to far to function properly?

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose towing a trailer with a WDH would help to break them in also. What are the specs on the Geiser, I've tried calling them a couple times with no luck, maybe because I'm overseas. It's a progressive I know but I'd like to know whats the weight required to compress the first and second inch? 2.5 inch higher, doesn't put your shock out of its position to far to function properly?

towing would help break in the rear leaf springs, im not interested in that lol. i wanted to have the geiser front spring a little bit softer than it is. i deflated my tires to 40 hot, and its been a much better drive, the little road bumps are barly to not noticeable anymore. so having lower pressure on 35s helps quite a bit on the harshness of the spring, it still wont compress as easy but i havent taken it to any jumps yet to test that out,not much out here to do that, have to drive a few hours to reach sand mountain in nevada.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towing would help break in the rear leaf springs, im not interested in that lol. i wanted to have the geiser front spring a little bit softer than it is. i deflated my tires to 40 hot, and its been a much better drive, the little road bumps are barly to not noticeable anymore. so having lower pressure on 35s helps quite a bit on the harshness of the spring, it still wont compress as easy but i havent taken it to any jumps yet to test that out,not much out here to do that, have to drive a few hours to reach sand mountain in nevada.

Let me ask you and @Sharkus29 this: Where did you get your truck aligned after the spring swap, dealer or tire/front end shop? Did you have the alignment kit on hand just encase you needed it? Did you have to get longer brake lines when you went to the Geiser spring? How does the truck ride on the road now that you've broken them in a little? Currently I'm 90% on road driving, I'm debating if I should do Geiser or collars. Either way you are pushing the front of the truck up roughly 1.75-2.5. How far is too far out of factory designed operating range? I'm just wondering if I shouldn't get a collar now and replace the entire unit when I can.

WDH (weight distributing hitch) puts some of the trailer weight back on the front tires, it might help break them in without jumping is all I was getting at. I have a road trip to get to any desert dunes...

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a gen1 and have the same opinion as @bigrig ,my Geisers finally settled to only an inch of height increase on mid perch. I now have King 3.0’s and they’re a big improvement off-road. The Geisers were a big improvement over stock springs, especially off-road. If you don’t off-road much go with the Geisers, if you do put the $500 towards 3.0’s, you’ll end up getting them anyway!

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me ask you and @Sharkus29 this: Where did you get your truck aligned after the spring swap, dealer or tire/front end shop? Did you have the alignment kit on hand just encase you needed it? Did you have to get longer brake lines when you went to the Geiser spring? How does the truck ride on the road now that you've broken them in a little? Currently I'm 90% on road driving, I'm debating if I should do Geiser or collars. Either way you are pushing the front of the truck up roughly 1.75-2.5. How far is too far out of factory designed operating range? I'm just wondering if I shouldn't get a collar now and replace the entire unit when I can.

WDH (weight distributing hitch) puts some of the trailer weight back on the front tires, it might help break them in without jumping is all I was getting at. I have a road trip to get to any desert dunes...

i have a best friend that owns a alighement shop they did the whole install for me and alighned it there per spec, the brake lines and all to my knowledge went back to the same place i didnt need to be relocated again from my understanding, other wise the geisers would come with extra hardware for this stuff to be moved. the truck rode a bit to stiff honeslty for me , because the stock suspension was wayyy to soft i actually hated how soft it was, but the gieser spring made it wayyy more stiffer, but it looks wayy better, it drove good on mild off roading, since i changed my tires to ten ply toyo mts the on road was a bit to stiff , so i aired down the tires to 40 hot, and now it rides wayyy better on road, the softer tire with less air absorbs the little bumps in the road so it feels pretty good, i cant say for wheel travel, i havent tested them yet, but even with the sway bar off, when i ride over a curb with one wheel the truck still tilts like it has the sway bar connected instead of just picking the tire up and thats because of the super stiff springs, im prob going to go with after market coil overs down the road.

Slow6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've asked on another thread somewhere and never got an answer.

Does anyone know what weight it takes to compress a Geiser 1 inch and/or 2 inch? I've found info for Stock and Eibach springs but not the Geiser. Yes I know the gieser is progressive and the weight to compress each inch will increase the more you compress the spring.

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I got mine aligned when I got my new tires. After my buddy and I installed the Giesers I didn’t get it aligned for probably 6 months after. Didn’t have to get longer brake lines either. Installing them isn’t the easiest because the springs are a lot longer than the stocks so if you’re doing it yourself you have to be very careful using spring clamps. We had to use two sets on one spring to get it on safely. Still sketchy tho cause that’s a lot of energy sitting there so like I said you have to be very careful. I love the springs, they are night and day compared to the stocks. They ride so much better on and off road. I also have Deavers and an RPG bump stop kit and I can honestly say the truck rides unbelievable. I wouldn’t go any higher than 3 inches on the front honestly. If you have the money to buy new front shocks then absolutely that would be a good way to go. But if you’re between the collars and Giesers then I would go Giesers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTRaptor20