Anyone Want To See The Inside of their Transfer Case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Macdaddy , it's a bit bulky to carry around. :) I think I might put it in the bed of the truck and invite the service manager to come outside for a look.

@CoronaRaptor , I seek success. Success in this case is a $1,720 refund, not an entertaining video. But yeah, that video would be mighty entertaining. I think I might have some success if I mention my previous satisfaction with the service department and that we bought my wife's car from that dealership.

@JimC427 , THAT IS FANTASTIC ADVICE! Everyone take note of Jim's post, above!!!

Now, does anyone know how to test the shift motor? If I could demonstrate to the service manager that it was the shift motor that failed, I'd be nearly certain to get some justice in this matter.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@CoronaRaptor , I seek success. Success in this case is a $1,720 refund, not an entertaining video. But yeah, that video would be mighty entertaining. I think I might have some success if I mention my previous satisfaction with the service department and that we bought my wife's car from that dealership.

Now, does anyone know how to test the shift motor? If I could demonstrate to the service manager that it was the shift motor that failed, I'd be nearly certain to get some justice in this matter.
Okay, how about a pocket recorder?
1624739817926.png

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s a pretty cool look into the xfer case. Now there should be a clutch pack embedded in there as well for AWD mode?

If that was my dealer, I personally would remark about that repair to my service manager. But just to note how it looks to be misdiagnosed. The repair is 17 months old and to go back and make a full case about it, just seems to late. If this was days to weeks after I would say oh yeah get over there. But maybe being a steady customer, you can get a courtesy discount in the future.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s a pretty cool look into the xfer case. Now there should be a clutch pack embedded in there as well for AWD mode?

If that was my dealer, I personally would remark about that repair to my service manager. But just to note how it looks to be misdiagnosed. The repair is 17 months old and to go back and make a full case about it, just seems to late. If this was days to weeks after I would say oh yeah get over there. But maybe being a steady customer, you can get a courtesy discount in the future.
I'm going to play it pretty close to that, but as a matter of courtesy I don't want to hit him cold and unaware. My opening bid will be a letter to the service manager explaining the circumstances, asking if he would be willing to personally examine the transfer case, and asking for a scheduled appointment to see him. Attached to the letter will be a copy of the service record and the photos. If he agrees to examine the transfer case it will be a matter of gauging his responses and demeanor to guide my approach. You know, if this was a matter of a few hundred I would probably just send him the photos and a short note to the effect that I wanted him to be aware. But for $1,720 I'm going to carefully apply some pressure if his attitude indicates that he cares.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for responding, @FordTechOne. The tech is a female, I've dealt with her several times when she was working the service desk, and she has always seemed both competent and knowledgeable.

I think you're right about how they manipulated the transfer case. What they told me when they got it stuck in 4WD High agrees with what you have surmised quite nicely - they did manually manipulate the TC.

Thank you for the clarification that what I referred to as the solenoid is actually called the shift motor. Is there a test procedure for that part? Is there a recognized risk associated with manually manipulating the TC? I am considering having a chat with the Service Manager, but if there is no way to test my theory then there is no point in risking being labeled a problem customer. The dealership is the only one within 180 miles, and that one is across the state line.
The shift motor can be checked using IDS, before ever tearing into anything physically. Basically each motor position has a value; if that value is out of spec, it’s either a shift motor or circuit issue. I’m not aware of any risks associated with manually shifting the T-Case, you’re just doing the same thing the shift motor does. If it bound up, they should have rotated the driveshafts to re-align the internal components and tried shifting it again. Regardless, you don’t replace a T-case unless it’s a catastrophic failure. They are fully serviceable as you’ve found by opening yours up.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The shift motor can be checked using IDS, before ever tearing into anything physically. Basically each motor position has a value; if that value is out of spec, it’s either a shift motor or circuit issue. I’m not aware of any risks associated with manually shifting the T-Case, you’re just doing the same thing the shift motor does. If it bound up, they should have rotated the driveshafts to re-align the internal components and tried shifting it again. Regardless, you don’t replace a T-case unless it’s a catastrophic failure. They are fully serviceable as you’ve found by opening yours up.
Here is how the service invoice reads concerning the diagnosis of the problem:

"Verified customer concern and found that the wrench light comes on when trying to switch between 2WD and 4HI. Visually inspected and no issues present, no signs of damage. Checked for codes and TSB's. No TSBs present, but code P1867 - T-case plate general circuit failure, was stored. Went to WSM section 308-07A diag and testing to PPT S for P1867. S1 - yes, S4 - yes, S11 - yes, S14 - no, S19 - yes, S20 - no, S21 - yes, S22 - yes, S23 - yes, S24 - no, -- replace the T-case. Per PPT, have the T-case motor off and cannot get the T-case to come out of 4WD. Contact plates inside the T-case ae not functioning as designed. Need to replace the T-case and retest."

I can't interpret all that. Can you please, sir?

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is the text of my letter to the service manager. It goes out in the mail today.

Service Manager,

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the replacement of the transfer case on my 2011 Ford Raptor with you. The wrench icon appeared at approximately 85,000 miles when I attempted to shift into 4WD. This was a surprising development due to the very modest use of the vehicle in 4WD mode, and the two drain-and-replace fluid changes I had personally performed using then-spec Ford Transfer Case Fluid.

On the occasion of the first service call on this matter, I was informed that the service technician had attempted to manually manipulate the transfer case as an element of diagnosing the problem and had consequently gotten the transfer case stuck in 4WD High. I was told that the shift fork was probably broken, and to keep the truck below 50 mph until the transfer case could be replaced.

The replacement of the transfer case was accomplished in December 2019. On that occasion I was told that the specified fluid was Mercon LV, and that the new transfer case had more robust internal parts. The service tech was kind enough to swap my magnetic drain plug from the old transfer case to the new one. In the course of both the initial and second encounters with the service department I was treated professionally, with cheerful courtesy, and was provided with more than enough information on the repair to inspire confidence.

I asked for and received my old transfer case, and now – 17 months later – I have finally had the opportunity to open it up and try to see if I could identify what failed. I can’t! The shift fork is undamaged, and no sign of wear is apparent. The inside of the transfer case is clean, and there are no debris of any kind that would indicate a failure. My curiosity is unavoidably aroused.

I have attached the relevant page of the repair invoice and four photos to this correspondence. I hope, sir, that you are as curious as I am, and that you would be willing to personally inspect the transfer case and see if you can find a point of failure. I want you to understand that this is not a complaint about the service I received, nor is it in any way intended to criticize the work of the service technician involved. I have had several occasions to do business with that technician when she worked the desk as a service advisor, and I assure you that I came away smiling after every encounter. She is personable, professional, and very obviously competent. I simply want to understand what failed, because my visual examination of the interior condition of the transfer case and its mechanism has proven unrevealing. If you would be so kind as to schedule a time when I can bring the transfer case to the dealership for your inspection, please contact me.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is the text of my letter to the service manager. It goes out in the mail today.

Service Manager,

I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the replacement of the transfer case on my 2011 Ford Raptor with you. The wrench icon appeared at approximately 85,000 miles when I attempted to shift into 4WD. This was a surprising development due to the very modest use of the vehicle in 4WD mode, and the two drain-and-replace fluid changes I had personally performed using then-spec Ford Transfer Case Fluid.

On the occasion of the first service call on this matter, I was informed that the service technician had attempted to manually manipulate the transfer case as an element of diagnosing the problem and had consequently gotten the transfer case stuck in 4WD High. I was told that the shift fork was probably broken, and to keep the truck below 50 mph until the transfer case could be replaced.

The replacement of the transfer case was accomplished in December 2019. On that occasion I was told that the specified fluid was Mercon LV, and that the new transfer case had more robust internal parts. The service tech was kind enough to swap my magnetic drain plug from the old transfer case to the new one. In the course of both the initial and second encounters with the service department I was treated professionally, with cheerful courtesy, and was provided with more than enough information on the repair to inspire confidence.

I asked for and received my old transfer case, and now – 17 months later – I have finally had the opportunity to open it up and try to see if I could identify what failed. I can’t! The shift fork is undamaged, and no sign of wear is apparent. The inside of the transfer case is clean, and there are no debris of any kind that would indicate a failure. My curiosity is unavoidably aroused.

I have attached the relevant page of the repair invoice and four photos to this correspondence. I hope, sir, that you are as curious as I am, and that you would be willing to personally inspect the transfer case and see if you can find a point of failure. I want you to understand that this is not a complaint about the service I received, nor is it in any way intended to criticize the work of the service technician involved. I have had several occasions to do business with that technician when she worked the desk as a service advisor, and I assure you that I came away smiling after every encounter. She is personable, professional, and very obviously competent. I simply want to understand what failed, because my visual examination of the interior condition of the transfer case and its mechanism has proven unrevealing. If you would be so kind as to schedule a time when I can bring the transfer case to the dealership for your inspection, please contact me.

Its a good letter. And I know it’s something of an open case to you. Based on what I have heard from @FordTechOne they certainly appeared to misdiagnose. Then again I can’t judge as I’m not in that xfer case looking at it or has another mechanic that you mentioned. But bringing it to there attention can’t hurt. It’s just the 17 months later part. It sounds like you got screwed, but too bad you didn’t do this all sooner. I hope they offer you a discount on anything in the future as a courtesy. I have a feeling they will stick to there diagnosis and repair.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused. The tech wrote that they removed the shift motor and were unable to manually shift the transfer case, which would lead me to think something was stuck inside. Now, I know some dealers back then were having issue getting parts, etc, not sure if they gave you that option of a rebuild or not. Regardless, I would always prefer a new part over a rebuilt one myself. Not taking the dealers side here, but just pointing out the obvious, unless I read something wrong, which wouldn't be the first time, lol. Nice letter too, way too nice for my style, ha ha.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone who knew anything at all about the 09-14 trucks would have gone right to the shift motor.