Anyone Want To See The Inside of their Transfer Case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No response as yet from the Ford dealership or the service manager. My correspondence should have been received yesterday or today.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, this was an educational exercise. The Service Manager took the time to do a nearly complete disassembly of the unit. The obvious expertise involved was convincing - I am certain that he had been inside a Ford truck transfer case many times before. As I expected, he observed only a tiny bit of metal inside. There is a magnet that's about 3/4 inch by 1/2 inch that just rests on the bottom of the case that had a little metal on it. The shift forks - both the metal and the plastic one - were undamaged. The tale was told when he showed me obvious wear on two ring-shaped parts that engage 4WD. The engagement surfaces between those two parts should have been smooth, but they were rough. They were slipping against each other while the unit was in 4WD, when they should have been locked together. What locks them together is a large ring-shaped electromagnet. The shift motor mechanically shifts between 2WD, 4HI, and 4LOW, but the electromagnet locks the parts in the selected gear. The only thing that would cause the evident wear was a weak electromagnet.

So the mechanical failure was caused by an electrical failure. It wasn't any shortcoming in the legacy Ford Transfer Case Fluid or the maintenance the unit received, and in fact there was nothing an owner or shop could have done to predict or prevent this failure. It was just dumb bad luck.

Last edited:

JefferyGT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite the saga! Sorry for all your troubles. Alot of us have been there.

The Tech being female will never lose her job either. Protected class. Hopefully she is at least learning on your dime.