Anyone Want To See The Inside of their Transfer Case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The wrench icon appeared at 85,195 miles on my GEN1, so of course I took it to the local dealer. (Same dealer my wife bought her Ford Edge from.) In the process of diagnosing the problem they managed to get it stuck in 4WD High, and told me that the shift fork in the transfer case had broken. I was instructed to keep the speed under 50mph until they could get a replacement transfer case delivered. The new transfer case cost $1,155.82, new bolts of two types cost $24.00, and labor was $540.00.

I asked for and received my old transfer case, and now 17 months later I've finally gotten around to splitting the case (quite easily done) and look inside. As you can see, both sides of the shift fork are not broken and in fact are unmarred and show no appreciable wear. I serviced that transfer case twice with the then-spec Ford Transfer Case Fluid during its 85K life, and even installed a magnetic drain plug.

I thought some FRF members might like to see what the inside of their Borg-Warner transfer case looks like, hope someone can tell me where to look to identify the failure mode, and that there might be cautions to be aware of when the dealer says, "We can have a new transfer case here for you in a couple of days." Having seen how clean the guts of the transfer case are and there are no bits and pieces of stuff inside, I think maybe the solenoid on the outside of the transfer case might have been the true point of failure. If true, the cost of the repair would have been a small fraction of what I was charged. I can't help but wonder how to test that solenoid.

Attachments

• TC1.jpg
    TC1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 269
  • TC2.jpg
    TC2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 265
  • TC3.jpg
    TC3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 245
  • TC4.jpg
    TC4.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 249

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Discouraging.

Depending on the DTC that was set, the diagnostics may have instructed them to remove the T-case shift motor and manually shift between high and low with a wrench. My guess would be that during that procedure, they managed to get it stuck in 4HI, and then wrote it off as a "broken shift fork". Apparently easier to replace the unit customer pay than to actually diagnose the issue properly. As you have shown, these T-cases are not all that complex. Clearly the dealer didn't even open it up to verify the assumed damage; sounds like it was dispatched to the lube guy instead of the trans tech.

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for responding, @FordTechOne. The tech is a female, I've dealt with her several times when she was working the service desk, and she has always seemed both competent and knowledgeable.

I think you're right about how they manipulated the transfer case. What they told me when they got it stuck in 4WD High agrees with what you have surmised quite nicely - they did manually manipulate the TC.

Thank you for the clarification that what I referred to as the solenoid is actually called the shift motor. Is there a test procedure for that part? Is there a recognized risk associated with manually manipulating the TC? I am considering having a chat with the Service Manager, but if there is no way to test my theory then there is no point in risking being labeled a problem customer. The dealership is the only one within 180 miles, and that one is across the state line.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That thing is immaculate inside. Plastic shift fork?! Thanks for posting, I did want to see the insides!
They assured me that the new transfer case had internal components that are more robust than the original. Well heck, I can't tell what failed in the original transfer case. That's the mystery!

JimC427

Reaction score
The transfer case motor actuator is a common problem, it's what changes 2 wd to 4 wd high and low and when stuck will give the wrench icon. You can remove it lying on your back and twist the motor to get it unstuck moving again. New replacement Ebay $63.00 takes 5 minutes to change.