GEN 2 anyone use tailgate locks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If they are going to the trouble to punch out the tailgate lock (which the recipient of the tailgate would have to replace), none of the "hinge locks" will stop them either. Do some research, they are all easily defeated.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen 1 here, but I use a Jimmi Jammer lock protector to help guard against lock punching and the Jimmi Jammer-made Gate Keeper to help protect the detachable hinge. The latter isn't a lock, but it is a bolt-on stainless steel keeper that requires a Torx bit to remove.

It's really all about delaying or inconveniencing the perp enough that they move onto the next easiest prey. If they really want something they'll get it given enough time, tools, and skill.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen 1 here, but I use a Jimmi Jammer lock protector to help guard against lock punching and the Jimmi Jammer-made Gate Keeper to help protect the detachable hinge. The latter isn't a lock, but it is a bolt-on stainless steel keeper that requires a Torx bit to remove.

It's really all about delaying or inconveniencing the perp enough that they move onto the next easiest prey. If they really want something they'll get it given enough time, tools, and skill.

Right. The SDHQ product does the same thing the same way.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you are doing all the added security stuff, might as well get the tamper proof screws for your taillights too. Those are an easy $100 on Craigslist for the Gen 1 lights. More for a Gen 2, those are probably $500+.

sinjed

Reaction score
Does anyone here use the Jimmi Jammer Gate Keeper or SDHQ protector on the Gen2? Trying to make sure it fits before ordering.

Last edited:

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

100% correct...if a professional wants it,unless you have it welded shut,they will get it.So,#1 is to keep tailgate locked.If you have the "Ladder" option,they still might punch the lock,but chances are they will move to the next one.Its all about giving the A-holes as much trouble as you can.Problem I see with all the Tailgate-Keeper and others is ,dont you think the pros carry a Tork around or a Hex wrench to remove in 15 seconds...they can buy the same device and have the tool,so doesnt really make it hard for them.Still better than nothing...but so is a WE SHOOT FIRST sticker on back window..LOL...If you take tailgate off all the time,sure,makes sense to me...but if like me,never plan on taking off...I used a .59 cent hose clamp...and if you angle it down,once tailgate is closed and locked,only way the A-holes will get it off is if they lay down in the mud with a long screwdriver....its all about pissing them off getting their asses dirty and having them move on.I went a step further,cause I really hate thieves,and put a few spots of JB-WELD on the threads...so they can get real dirty trying to unscrew it...doubt they want to be under my truck that long...Sure,if I do need to take it off a few years from now I might have to spend 2-3 minutes with a little Dremel grinder to remove the clamp....Just my 2 cents....I attached a photo of clamp with tailgate down to show position (when closed,clamp with be 45 degrees down and under the truck (shown in 2nd photo)

L1210890.JPG

L1210891.JPG

04SSHD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the McGuard one, yes $20 is cheap insurance. You can also just use a hose clamp, generally tailgate thieves don't carry tools with them so that might be enough of a deterrent. As far as the gen 2 tailgates, I have seen some stolen where they defeated the factory lock.