Anyone use a truck cover for outside parking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

munch520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar situation - going back to work soon, and my truck will be at the airport for days. Wanting a good cover that can fit snugly, and deal with potential winds.

Truck is in the drive otherwise, partial shade from a tree but that’s it.
Any parking garage to park in?

Ron's Rap

Reaction score
I have a 2017 with 42k miles. I don't have a garage and I don't drive it as much because I have a company truck. I use this cover on mine. Sojoy iAutoComfort Truck Cover Waterproof All Weather -Pickup Covers Similar Size as Ford F150 2001-2019 Raptor -Truck Car Cover -Breathable Outdoor Car Protector up to 228" https://a.co/d/ietTntO
It works pretty good. You do have to be careful of the gritty sand/ dirt build up under the cover that may cause fine scratches. The cover does a great job protecting the truck. Be careful on the selection of material that the cover is made from. I bought another cover from another manufacturer and the sun actually burned through it. You could see and smell the material burning. Luckily it was being used on a older vehicle.

RaptorWhoSaysNI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Cali and my LFG Raptor doesn't fit in the garage. Without shade, I worry about long term sun damage. Anyone use a truck cover to try and slow down the sun? Recommendations?

I have the truck PPF'd, Ceramic coated, and all windows tinted to help, but wondering if I should invest in a cover for the sun!
Purchased this one and I'm happy with it protecting my investment.

IMG_9365.jpgIMG_9364.jpg

Last edited:

itsrichierich

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
great thread. I too park my truck in the driveway since it doesn’t fit in my garage. The California sun is beating on it and the hood is starting to take most of the damage.

Would like to get a cover over the truck but not sure how I feel with these generic covers.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No way in hell. The wind will move the cover around and eventually it will eat through the paint on the edges of panels.

Work on finding a house with a bigger garage or building one. Trucks aren't getting any smaller.

Last edited:

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
great thread. I too park my truck in the driveway since it doesn’t fit in my garage. The California sun is beating on it and the hood is starting to take most of the damage.

Would like to get a cover over the truck but not sure how I feel with these generic covers.
You could ceramic coat the truck, it helps a lot protecting the paint from uv exposure.

My 20 sat in the SoCal sun 24/7 for 3 years and still looked brand new.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You could ceramic coat the truck, it helps a lot protecting the paint from uv exposure.

My 20 sat in the SoCal sun 24/7 for 3 years and still looked brand new.

The plastics and rubber parts may look OK, but they do not look as nice a a truck that did not sit outside 24/7 for 3 years. The first few years, sure, not much degradation is noticable, as everything is still fresh. Paints and plastics are fuill of UV inhibitors etc. Each year that goes by though-those break down and the difference in condition widens faster and faster as well. It's not a linear thing.

If you buy new trucks on the regular- who cares right? Let the next guy worry about it.

If you plan to hold onto it though, leaving it outside is a sure way to be disappointed in it down the line. If it's black, the paint will be faded, any bare plastics will be oxidized and stained, and the plastic headlights will be sun damaged. All the rain, birdshit, pollen, and UV on the paint- baked in the heat. Water that freezes into (expanding) ice in every crevice during rain to snow events in the winter.

I've had them inside and had them outside- there is no comparison in condition after a decade, and the ones kept indoors take so much less effort to clean.

Last edited: