Anyone Switch to Full Synthetic Oil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Plastic clip comes with to make sure valve doesn’t “accidentally “ open. Not that it would anyway with a spring holding it in place and plenty of undercarriage protection from the factory.
I had said this before in a Fumoto thread, even without that safety clip, if that lever gets knocked open while driving, you will probably be dead from whatever force was enough to knock that spring loaded lever open.

Mars911red

Reaction score
Since mine is a new fen 3 I figure it can’t hurt so why not. The difference in cost at my dealer is minimal so all the more reason to

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Ford builds and sets the minimum to semi. Just like they do with gas at 87 octane. Most people will ha e no problem with this set up. Just us enthusiasts that want the best. Far less of us then the Gen pop.

Like others before, I run Amsoil SS in the Raptor. T6 in the diesel.

mvasilakis

Reaction score
I don’t own a gen 3 yet. I have a Gen 2. I have always run Mobil 1. Parents owned a repair shop when I was younger and I drank the cool aid on mobil 1. Then in 1993 I bought a 4.0L Ford Ranger. Junked it in 2013 after flipping the odo 3x. Engine still ran great. Never one engine issue. Not one. The rest of the truck was falling apart around the motor but that thing ran solid.

FF and I’ve been a devout Mobil 1 user. I have a friend with a performance shop and my cousin who’s an engineer turned exotic/rare car builder/restorer. Both said Amsoil is a better oil than Mobil 1. My cousin did some research and said that Joe Gibbs racing makes an oil blend specifically for direct injection motors like the eco-boost. So now my #1 is the Joe Gibbs Driven and if I can’t find that for some reason Amsoil is backup.

tabvette

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Every vehicle I have owned since 1996 has had Mobil 1 and a k&n synthetic filter. 5000 between changes. Why would you ever cheap out on the life blood of your engine? Protect your investment.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cleanliness of the oil is far more important than semi or full synthetic. Both meet standards.
What’s more important is clean air! Most people, especially the quick lube places, get more dirt into the engine changing the air filter than what the filter passed the entire time the filter was used.

Fireguy144

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess so, doesn’t seem right though. Although I expect engines using semi synthetic have lasted many miles and many years. Right or wrong I have oil changes done at the dealer using what Ford recommends (semi synthetic) every 5000 miles. For a few $ more should I ask for full synthetic? Is it just better protection and peace of mind? Can’t imagine it would void my warranty? The two oil changes I had done, the maintenance minder was still over 50%. Also, I have the extended warranty of 8yrs and 125,000 miles and plan to keep the truck at least that long. I appreciate any insight and advice.
What did the warranty cost you ? Did you buy direct from Ford ?

KCHawkeye02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to Amsoil SS in factory weight with their matching filter since day one. Plenty of data out there that shows Amsoil's filter outperforms Fords. I will say Fords is not bad at all though.

Truck doesn't burn oil and runs great. Have 10k miles on the oil now. Did this to my 2019 and 2020 Raptor as well.

Pro tip: On yout first change, add this valve to your pan and will make future changes super easy!

Fumoto Valve
First oil change coming up, I looked into Amsoil SS and filter, and I am completely sold. I am not against changing it myself, but with the hassle/mess/lack of equipment I will just have the dealer do it, bringing them the parts from Amsoil of course. Just placed the order!

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ill keep this brief. Im buddies with a ex crew chief of an idy car team. They were running v8s. They were a pennzoil .. or was it valvoline team? Either way , they used mobil 1 as it was the only oil that kept those motors together. I have used it on every motor since