Anyone seen and resolved this DTC?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christopher Manns

Reaction score
2018 Screw, JDM tune, CAI, FMIC, Borla Exhaust, 37" tires.
I was driving home from the airport this morning, the total time the vehicle was running was about 45mins. The vehicle was in Sport mode cruising at about 80mph.

The truck drops into limp mode and throws a wrench on the dash.
I pull over and check codes and see a P061A - Internal Control Module Torque Performance. I'm assuming the wrench, limp mode, and code are related. I'd really appreciate and hints, guesses, solutions.

Thanks.

Sernas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gen 1 throw the code sometimes too. I guess it has to do with the truck detecting higher engine torque from the mods. Wrench will come on but truck is not in limp mode.

RodGod87

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me except it was throwing low boost codes and turbo waste stuck closed.

I had to replace both waste gate actuators left side turbo and had to get a new computer because the computer is what caused the waste gate actuators not to open. Warranty covered everything took about three weeks to get truck back.

OP
OP
Christopher Manns

Christopher Manns

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me except it was throwing low boost codes and turbo waste stuck closed.

I had to replace both waste gate actuators left side turbo and had to get a new computer because the computer is what caused the waste gate actuators not to open. Warranty covered everything took about three weeks to get truck back.
EEK!
Was yours recurring or a one-time thing? Mine has only happened once.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2018 Screw, JDM tune, CAI, FMIC, Borla Exhaust, 37" tires.
I was driving home from the airport this morning, the total time the vehicle was running was about 45mins. The vehicle was in Sport mode cruising at about 80mph.

The truck drops into limp mode and throws a wrench on the dash.
I pull over and check codes and see a P061A - Internal Control Module Torque Performance. I'm assuming the wrench, limp mode, and code are related. I'd really appreciate and hints, guesses, solutions.

Thanks.

It sounds like a tune issue, especially if the tune is calibrated for the stock tire size and you're running 37's.

The PCM continuously calculates engine torque and load based on inputs such as MAP, gear ratio, RPM, and TP. When the PCM determines that the actual torque required is outside of the calculated torque by a predetermined threshold, it will set P061A. That essentially means that the PCM is condemning it's own calculations because they are exceeding the threshold. In the case of oversize tires, the PCM may calculate that a specific amount of torque is required to maintain 80MPH, while in your case more (larger/heavier tire) or less (change in drivetrain RPM) actual torque requirements are conflicting.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

You were tuned?

OP
OP
Christopher Manns

Christopher Manns

Reaction score
It sounds like a tune issue, especially if the tune is calibrated for the stock tire size and you're running 35's.

The PCM continuously calculates engine torque and load based on inputs such as MAP, gear ratio, RPM, and TP. When the PCM determines that the actual torque required is outside of the calculated torque by a predetermined threshold, it will set P061A. That essentially means that the PCM is condemning it's own calculations because they are exceeding the threshold. In the case of oversize tires, the PCM may calculate that a specific amount of torque is required to maintain 80MPH, while in your case more (larger/heavier tire) or less (change in drivetrain RPM) actual torque requirements are conflicting.

I'm not sure why I said I had 37's I'm running 35's. But i get your point. the tire size (correctly) was added to the tune set up in the SCT device. I wonder if that's been lost, or if it' was only used for speedo calculations...