Anyone see the Ford oil consumption warnings this week?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

upgeek

Reaction score
I had my oil drop 3 quarts in 3K miles after first oil change, threw a low oil pressure warning and reduced power. They replaced the head gaskets and the timing chain tensioner. Let's see if its good to go now. There are TSB's out on these.

I'd suggest check the oil every 1K, until your confident oil is not going down.

BTW, also noticed that you'll have soot buildup from oil on behind the rear wheels on the body, after this above occurred.

Refugio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 19
Did not check oil on delivery. But after reading about oil consumption on this forum I started checking into this.

At 4000 miles it was in between the two holes on the dip stick. It took about half a quart to bring it up to full at the second hole.
At 8000 miles it was down again about 1/4 quart so I topped it off again.

At 9500 miles I did not check it but drained and changed oil and filter. Put in 6 quarts and oil was full at second hole on dipstick.

Since that first oil change I’ve taken two different cross country trips of hard and long mileage days of driving. Checking it periodically along the way it showed no loss or usage of oil what so ever.

Now at about 20,000 miles and still no sign of usage. Level is still at second hole on dipstick.
I’m thinking it does not consume oil anymore. Only at the beginning while running the factory fill.
Happy camper

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If the driving habits have remained the same and there were a mechanical issue, it wouldn’t just cure itself absent some remediation effort. A cup of oil is barely distinguishable on the dipstick, and I would be inclined to believe this discrepancy could be differences in engine temp, time from being shut down and whether or not the vehicle was completely level OR checked in the same position as last check rather than actually being low. Plus, unless we change the oil ourselves, we don’t know exactly how much came out of the truck vs. what was put in the truck. You never get all the oil out of the engine. well, unless you flush the engine with something engines won’t like ;-) but if nothing else, this thread from notorious wannabe Rap owner and internet troll sasquatch77 has been rescued from the bin file of internet trolling and people are actually checking their oil :)

CLS1

Reaction score
I just got finished changing out my oil. I’ve only had 2 oil changes performed on my 2017, both by dealer. This time around I wanted to do it myself, and change out the plastic drain plug with that of the Ronin metal drain plug since I plan on doing the changes myself from now on.

My Raptor is not daily driven maybe sees 3-400 miles a month. My 17 is just shy of 10k miles.

Anywho as I went to dispense the used oil back into the Mobil 1 containers(always done this to gauge oil consumption on my vehicles and for recycle purposes)I was only able to pour back in this much oil into the 5 quart jug...concerning to say the least since I do not tow nor have I had to do any long “hard” drives outside of 200 miles.

I see no leaks in the drive way and or on my garage floor that would point to a leak.

4A7AFA44-9D66-431D-AFD9-4D816FCB14BA.jpeg

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I just got finished changing out my oil. I’ve only had 2 oil changes performed on my 2017, both by dealer. This time around I wanted to do it myself, and change out the plastic drain plug with that of the Ronin metal drain plug since I plan on doing the changes myself from now on.

My Raptor is not daily driven maybe sees 3-400 miles a month. My 17 is just shy of 10k miles.

Anywho as I went to dispense the used oil back into the Mobil 1 containers(always done this to gauge oil consumption on my vehicles and for recycle purposes)I was only able to pour back in this much oil into the 5 quart jug...concerning to say the least since I do not tow nor have I had to do any long “hard” drives outside of 200 miles.

I see no leaks in the drive way and or on my garage floor that would point to a leak.

View attachment 129262

Sounds like your dealer has some splainin to do, unless you checked the oil level after the last change.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score

NORCAL SS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 129262
Check your plastic oil pan to see if it was cracked? Many have had to fight the plastic pans. Check with your dealer and talk to them about this oil consumption. Document so you don't have to fight for engine replacement later.

CLS1

Reaction score
Check your plastic oil pan to see if it was cracked? Many have had to fight the plastic pans. Check with your dealer and talk to them about this oil consumption. Document so you don't have to fight for engine replacement later.
I’m contacting my service advisor this morning to schedule an appointment. Thanks for the heads up.

Also I’m glad I came across this thread. It has been invaluable.