Anyone running a soft topper?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Softtopper looks really nice, and they aren't a bad price. I think the gray color might be nice on some Raptor colors with the fender flares being grey color.

Yea, I think for what it costs it's a well designed and quality product! I like that it still works as a topper to protect things, but that it's easy to fold or just take it off when you want to use the entire bed again. I agree, if you have the gray flares still the gray color would look really nice too. I think like a Blue Flame Metallic truck with gray flares and a gray topper would be really cool. To be honest, I think even a black Raptor might look kind of cool with the tan too.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also a heads up for anyone who wants to run the Softtopper but has the GJ third brake light - you'll need to make sure you space it back a bit compared to what the instructions say so it's not sitting against the third brake light. The nice thing though is that the Softtopper is pretty adjustable as to where it sits on the bed, so I didn't have an issue getting it to clear the third brake light but still fit properly everywhere else.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So glad I went with the Softopper at this point.

It folds very easily so you can use the bed quickly and then is easy to set it back up. The other day I needed to go pick up a trundle bed so I wanted to strip the bed to make room for everything. I was able to remove the Softopper, Hi-lift jack and accessories, and both Swing Cases in about 5 minutes. Went from basically a loaded to fully empty bed. It took about 15 minutes to set everything back up, the extra time coming from just adjusting the straps and such on the Softopper. Still though, it's really cool having that option.

With now having the Rhino basket on the roof being able to fold the Softopper makes it very easy to load the basket from the bed since the basket ends up being about waist height when standing in the bed.

At this point for me the only real cons compared to having the ARE topper are that the ARE topper was more weatherproof just because it was fully sealed and the ARE topped just blending into the overall look better because it was color matched fiberglass. I do not miss making sure that the door latched properly on it every time though! I do like the look of the truck more with the Softopper completely off the truck just because it's more sleek, but with the Terrain color I think it gives it a military look.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wanted to add to this - a friend seam ripped the stitching on the vinyl patches and removed them from his black Softopper. I took the patch to a local friend who owns/runs a merchandising company. We are going to make some custom patches to replace the ones that come on the Softopper. Most likely my friend will be putting his business name on his, I haven't decided on mine yet. Thinking of just putting "SVT" on them to keep things clean looking. I would just leave the patches off if it didn't have stitch holes on the canvas.

Danactive

I'm Back!
Reaction score
anyone have one on a black raptor? also i wonder how one of these would hold up in the north east winters... i had one on my tacoma but didn't have it on for winters or for a long period of time

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I might have said this before, but @Cody Templeton you have one of the best looking Gen 1s that I have seen.

Thank you! Hoping for it to look even better here soon after it's done at the body shop. lol Also, the pictures in this thread are old ones! This is how she looked before she went to the body shop:

1696626128141.png