anyone remove the front sway bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M3sparky

M3sparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Il get the geisers on and my icon uca and then disconnect mine as well and see how it handles. Can always put it back on in few minutes..

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My last truck a 2wd Titan set up for light prerunning had the bar removed, but it also had SAW coilovers on...the truck did roll more in the corners for sure but in the dirt the front wheels behaved so much better, so I left it off.
I believe the Raptor would be too soft with stock shocks up front to just leave it off, and would take away a lot of street handling...

ToucanLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bunch of non drivers in here as usual on FRF

This is highly dependent on where you use your vehicle.

No front sway on Gen 2 has way better turn in.

Trail brake at 60mph, turn in hard and the back end comes around great for a nice full lock slide on dirt where you can back it into the corner on the brakes then get on the gas early since the gen 2 has pretty bad response unless in Baja mode and 2wd.

10/10 mod if you actually use your raptor and party hard - 0/10 mod if you’re one of those guys with toyos on methods who drives down a dirt road and posts photos of your clean raptor like that’s cool.

Last edited:

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is there no swaybar-disconnect for this thing, perhaps the long wheel travel? My lowly Jeep Wrangler had electric disconnects in 2016.

For the high speed offroad (baja dune-jumping or whatever ya'll do) it might not help much, but low speed with big bumps or rocks disconnecting it helps a lot.

On paved road I cannot think of any reason to have it disconnected.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why is there no swaybar-disconnect for this thing, perhaps the long wheel travel? My lowly Jeep Wrangler had electric disconnects in 2016.

Not every truck has every feature? Why doesn't the Jeep have bypass shocks- I mean, the Raptors have had them for 9 years now.

You can call it a "lowly" Wrangler, but when they start at $35K you can option them to $60K, that's a bit of a stretch.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score

For the high speed offroad (baja dune-jumping or whatever ya'll do) it might not help much, but low speed with big bumps or rocks disconnecting it helps a lot.

On paved road I cannot think of any reason to have it disconnected.

because the folks that buy them as street queens will leave it on and never know the difference.

The folks that use the trucks as designed will take it off and throw it in the scrap pile.

Why increase the cost by a couple grand for a goofy disconnect feature?

Edbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see your points (both of you) but for a dual or multi purpose truck, I suspect 75% of Raptors are used for daily commuting and going off the pavement to varying degrees,the ability to flick a switch and go from none to normal is desirable.

I have no interest in debating to what percentage or how often who drives on what surface how often. I hate Starbucks if that gets me any points...but my Wrangler was only a 2-door (source of my addiction to a <100" wheelbase and primary reason I ordered a SCAB) that had every option available for under $45K. Admittedly what that lowly (top of class "hard-rock Rubicon" still had MSRP under $45K with every option except trailer hitch) Wrangler was designed for is the polar opposite of what the Rap is designed for, one for crawling (was it a 6:1 ratio in the x-fer?), that jeep was somewhat unstable at 75mph on pavement where the Rap can handle that on dirt.

I was thinking more of the aftermarket. Disconnecting sways is not just a rock crawling thing, a sway bar is pretty much only there for on-pavement purposes. While I have ZERO experience in, or honestly NEED for, high speed off-roading, I wanted the Raptor for Ranch duty purposes that the Jeep just cannot do. I just shudder to think of how much trail maintenance I'll need for this wide-body girl-o-mine. Oh well, call that a tax on my son's and their buddies that like to hunt ;-)

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I see your points (both of you) but for a dual or multi purpose truck, I suspect 75% of Raptors are used for daily commuting and going off the pavement to varying degrees,the ability to flick a switch and go from none to normal is desirable.

I have no interest in debating to what percentage or how often who drives on what surface how often. I hate Starbucks if that gets me any points...but my Wrangler was only a 2-door (source of my addiction to a <100" wheelbase and primary reason I ordered a SCAB) that had every option available for under $45K. Admittedly what that lowly (top of class "hard-rock Rubicon" still had MSRP under $45K with every option except trailer hitch) Wrangler was designed for is the polar opposite of what the Rap is designed for, one for crawling (was it a 6:1 ratio in the x-fer?), that jeep was somewhat unstable at 75mph on pavement where the Rap can handle that on dirt.

I was thinking more of the aftermarket. Disconnecting sways is not just a rock crawling thing, a sway bar is pretty much only there for on-pavement purposes. While I have ZERO experience in, or honestly NEED for, high speed off-roading, I wanted the Raptor for Ranch duty purposes that the Jeep just cannot do. I just shudder to think of how much trail maintenance I'll need for this wide-body girl-o-mine. Oh well, call that a tax on my son's and their buddies that like to hunt ;-)

it isn't so much on or off to me. Realistically, nirvana is predictable sway. I feel that the truck actually corners better, especially around corners with bumps in them, without the swaybar.

Now, also realistically, most drivers want as little sway as possible and are not comfortable with the roll and yaw or a softly sprung, large wheel travel vehicle, regardless of its predictability, thus swaybars are on trucks like raptors.

a vehicle that has lots of roll to it takes a higher degree of driving aptitude than most normal folks would be willing to develop. Ford is in business to make money. swaybars calm the rolling down and thus make it more marketable to more people.

so, raptors have swaybars.

people like me never grow up, live to drive the hell out of anything with wheels and put the effort into developing driving skills.

it isn't for everyone and I don't judge. just my weirdo point of view.

ToucanLife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's pretty simple why the truck has a swaybar - people who are non-drivers (95% of raptor owners) turn in and hit the brakes to avoid a road obstacle on a downhill closing radius turn will roll the truck pretty easily. Ford sued for selling a rollover potential vehicle - low rollover ratings for IIHS - etc etc etc.

Swaybar is also great for highspeed desert runs - depends on your usage of the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoahE