Anyone painted or refinished their hood vents or front grille?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ignore the dirtyness, the pollen and rain has been crazy here. Hood vents and grille re-finished with Rustoleum Pro Grade bedliner with Duplicolor Dark Shadow Metallic Perfect Match paint. Grille brackets were done in VHT roll bar and chassis satin. Scuffed with gray Scotch Brite pad, wiped with paint thinner for prep. Also lightly tinted the grille lights after buffing them back to clear using my airbrush and some clear coat with a little black mixed in. Finally added the vinyl letters to the grille and used a heat gun to mold them to the texture.
The tan w black look sick!

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The tan w black look sick!

Thanks! I wanted to keep the Raptor theme with the gray accents, so I decided tan, black, and gray would be a great choice. Everyone does black for their offroad accessories, but I wanted to keep the gray theme from the Raptor so I decided that I would use it for my bumpers and rock sliders as well as some of the plastics. I won't use the gray for everything as I don't want to overdo it, but I think it helps the truck stand out a lot more.

Reaction score
Thanks! I wanted to keep the Raptor theme with the gray accents, so I decided tan, black, and gray would be a great choice. Everyone does black for their offroad accessories, but I wanted to keep the gray theme from the Raptor so I decided that I would use it for my bumpers and rock sliders as well as some of the plastics. I won't use the gray for everything as I don't want to overdo it, but I think it helps the truck stand out a lot more.
It surely does!!

SCSVT

Reaction score
Yea, I figured I would do it in SEM as I've had good luck with it in the past. The hood vents and side vents I'd like to do in something more matte finish for sure. I'm debating just repainting the cowl trim panels as well since they have a bit of fade too. Probably best to just do all of it in the same finish.
+1 on SEM, love their stuff - was thinking of their trim black matte. They also do a trim black in “charcoal metallic” but I think it’s a tad lighter than the factory fenders.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
+1 on SEM, love their stuff - was thinking of their trim black matte. They also do a trim black in “charcoal metallic” but I think it’s a tad lighter than the factory fenders.
I found a post a while back stating that the factory grille is Dark Shadow Gray Metallic, paint code M7039 or CX, and the bumpers/fender flares are Sterling Gray, paint code UJ. I liked the darker gray metallic of the grille compared to the lighter "flat" gray of the bumpers and fender flares and I wanted it to all match. I ended up doing the hood vents, grille, front and rear off-road bumpers, and rock sliders in the Dark Shadow Gray Metallic and love it. I was able to find the Duplicolor paint match cans at the part stores too, so I can easily touch it up if I beat the stuff up off road. That was my worry about powder coating anything is if it got scratched off the metal I wouldn't have a way to touch it up without re-powder coating the whole thing.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found a post a while back stating that the factory grille is Dark Shadow Gray Metallic, paint code M7039 or CX, and the bumpers/fender flares are Sterling Gray, paint code UJ. I liked the darker gray metallic of the grille compared to the lighter "flat" gray of the bumpers and fender flares and I wanted it to all match. I ended up doing the hood vents, grille, front and rear off-road bumpers, and rock sliders in the Dark Shadow Gray Metallic and love it. I was able to find the Duplicolor paint match cans at the part stores too, so I can easily touch it up if I beat the stuff up off road. That was my worry about powder coating anything is if it got scratched off the metal I wouldn't have a way to touch it up without re-powder coating the whole thing.
Pics?