Anyone painted or refinished their hood vents or front grille?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has done this. I was thinking of painting the hood vents with something more of a matte black to match the hood graphic. The grille is also faded a small bit, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a dark gray to match the factory color. I'd like to leave it gray instead of black.

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painted my grill, hood vents and side vents black. If you want to do it get yourself some SEM bumper coater. Amazing spray paint. It may be available in Gray but doubt it would match. They also make a Trim coat for metal parts.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Painted my grill, hood vents and side vents black. If you want to do it get yourself some SEM bumper coater. Amazing spray paint. It may be available in Gray but doubt it would match. They also make a Trim coat for metal parts.

Yea, I figured I would do it in SEM as I've had good luck with it in the past. The hood vents and side vents I'd like to do in something more matte finish for sure. I'm debating just repainting the cowl trim panels as well since they have a bit of fade too. Probably best to just do all of it in the same finish.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I Hydro Dipped my hood vents in a gold carbon fiber pattern. Kind of a silkscreen in water process. That was six years ago, I don't think the guy is around anymore but someone probably still does it. It's held up well.

View attachment 157842

That's pretty cool. I figure that would be a great route to go if I needed something a little more flashy!

Buzzard2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Linex looks great gives it a nice texture, I may go that route in the future. What did they charge for the work?

Shepherd_

Reaction score
That Linex looks great gives it a nice texture, I may go that route in the future. What did they charge for the work?

$1250 with me having to remove and re-install. I learned that if the part isn't metal that they coat the entire piece (front and back).

The best part is that a power sprayer makes short work of cleanup - especially after a long road trip when bugs need to be removed.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
$1250 with me having to remove and re-install. I learned that if the part isn't metal that they coat the entire piece (front and back).

The best part is that a power sprayer makes short work of cleanup - especially after a long road trip when bugs need to be removed.

You got a pretty fair price then! Local Line-X place wanted 1800 to do front bumper, rock sliders, and rear bumper even with me bringing it to them stripped. I'm still kind of wanting to Line-X, but a local powder coater said he could do wrinkle gray to match the factory color for everything for 350, so I'm tempted to go that route. I think the wrinkle gray on the front and rear bumpers and side steps would be cool to match the factory gray bumpers, but obviously I couldn't powdercoat the grille. I think the hood vents I'll just end up doing in a matte trim paint as well as the fender vents and cowl panels.