Anyone making big power? (lets try not derail this time!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leboeuf45

Reaction score
I would like to know the answer to the question as well and the other post has 4 pages of BS that's unrelated to the OP's question.

I live in Austin tx and have access to some well known tuners as well as a few dynos. The first thing that I would like to know is what do you mean by big power as I feel like that term is relative. I own a car dealership and my business partner owns a company called Boost Logic that is right next door which has 2 Dynos on site. BL specializes In big power builds for GTR's, Porsches, etc which is approx. 8-1000 whp for Porsche and 1400-1800 whp for GTR's.

In Austin we also have the company Calvo Motorsports that specializes in building TT Vipers and the Tuner there collin has a new raptor of his own. I have spoken to him a few times about tuning it but the problem so far has been the tuning software which none of these big name, very capable tuners are familiar with or like to use. from what I see the only one that is decent is HP tuners but that's not something either of them care to use.

The 3rd one is the company Cobb tuning which makes a device called the Access port which is a kick ass tuning tool for GTR's, Porsche's, suburus, Evos, Eco boosts, etc but they are still a 6-8 months away before there is an access port available for the raptor. I have spoken to the engineer that is building the software for the access port and he has agreed to Dyno tune my truck with HP tuners as soon as the parts are in.

I have the following parts on order.

SPD adaptors
Full Race IC with **** bungs, Tial BOV, and TB spacer
Full race Catch can
Full race Intake
Stainless works DP
Corsa X pipe W/ res delete
Corsa catback

After talking with Full race they have a set up modified stock turbo's releasing soon that they say will flow +15 lb/min more than stock which could make as much as 150 more horsepower than stock.

I bought this truck specifically to build as after reading about this Gen 2 Engine with the added port injection I got all excited about the possibilities. I also saw where a Stock engine and transmission (10spd auto) with a bolt on turbo kit and fuel system went 8.80's at 155 in a mustang GT a few months back. This tells me that this transmission is very capable of handling power and with the port injection the problem that most DI cars have with running out of fuel is already solved from the factory on the new raptor.

This platform seems to be very capable of making big power reliably we just need to figure out the details asap. So with that said, has anyone on here found the limit to the stock rods or stock clutch?

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Big power in a Raptor is not really that big. It only means around 550-600 RWHP. You really don't want/need any more than that for an off road truck that's limit is already determined by its suspension. I think there is a HUGE market waiting for an improved (either aftermarket or modified stock) set of turbos and good tuning that would reliably increase power to 500+ RWHP without destroying the bottom end, (which no one has done yet).

If someone brings that to market, the buyers will come. I know more than a few of them myself.

rettags

Reaction score
I haven’t done much research on tuning this motor. I went with Hennessey simply because of their relationship with Ford. Power is 600 to the crank and ~460 to the wheels. Not all that impressive. Agree with the last post though, mid 500 rwhp would be great.

To be perfectly candid, the tuning is just OK. Engine braking is garbage and it’s very boost-happy. It’s hard to keep in some steady band of boost, it’s either all or nothing. I’d be very interested to see what others come up with. These trucks also need trans tuning desperately, which would also help the experience of the engine tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wipit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to know the answer to the question as well and the other post has 4 pages of BS that's unrelated to the OP's question.

I live in Austin tx and have access to some well known tuners as well as a few dynos. The first thing that I would like to know is what do you mean by big power as I feel like that term is relative. I own a car dealership and my business partner owns a company called Boost Logic that is right next door which has 2 Dynos on site. BL specializes In big power builds for GTR's, Porsches, etc which is approx. 8-1000 whp for Porsche and 1400-1800 whp for GTR's.

In Austin we also have the company Calvo Motorsports that specializes in building TT Vipers and the Tuner there collin has a new raptor of his own. I have spoken to him a few times about tuning it but the problem so far has been the tuning software which none of these big name, very capable tuners are familiar with or like to use. from what I see the only one that is decent is HP tuners but that's not something either of them care to use.

The 3rd one is the company Cobb tuning which makes a device called the Access port which is a kick ass tuning tool for GTR's, Porsche's, suburus, Evos, Eco boosts, etc but they are still a 6-8 months away before there is an access port available for the raptor. I have spoken to the engineer that is building the software for the access port and he has agreed to Dyno tune my truck with HP tuners as soon as the parts are in.

I have the following parts on order.

SPD adaptors
Full Race IC with **** bungs, Tial BOV, and TB spacer
Full race Catch can
Full race Intake
Stainless works DP
Corsa X pipe W/ res delete
Corsa catback

After talking with Full race they have a set up modified stock turbo's releasing soon that they say will flow +15 lb/min more than stock which could make as much as 150 more horsepower than stock.

I bought this truck specifically to build as after reading about this Gen 2 Engine with the added port injection I got all excited about the possibilities. I also saw where a Stock engine and transmission (10spd auto) with a bolt on turbo kit and fuel system went 8.80's at 155 in a mustang GT a few months back. This tells me that this transmission is very capable of handling power and with the port injection the problem that most DI cars have with running out of fuel is already solved from the factory on the new raptor.

This platform seems to be very capable of making big power reliably we just need to figure out the details asap. So with that said, has anyone on here found the limit to the stock rods or stock clutch?
If you can Add a Methanol kit

OP
OP
leboeuf45

leboeuf45

Reaction score
I agree with the trans tuning as I feel like even the stock trans tuning isn't that great. Cobb is really good with the trans tuning as with the GTR and the Porsche they made those cars so much better, hopefully they follow suit with this.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
I think the torque management, boost management and throttle response are set the way they are from Ford in order to protect something from excessive wear.

There has been a ton of talk about the engine and trans, but what about the transfer case?

It has already been confirmed that there is a very good reason in the Gen2s for the rear dif lock being disabled over 20 mph. ( spider deflection when non-smooth throttle inputs are thrown at it) Perhaps there is something else that the PCM/TCM is protecting?