Anyone know of a front axle upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
So I’m thinking about replacing or upgrading the front axle. I have wreaked havoc on mine and instead of having warranty fix it I was thinking about just beefing things up. Any thoughts? 17 super crew with torson in the front if that matters.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There were replacement CV shafts for the GEN 1 (RCV, I think)...imagine the same or similar for the GEN 2...but they cost around a bagillion dollars (over $2k or so) and would only likely move the next weakest link to something more expensive still.

OP
OP
Booth9999

Booth9999

Reaction score
Mine is crunchy on the inside(driver side). I had to use 4wheel drive to back up a steep dirt driveway, left it engaged. Later I went around a long left had turn (maybe about 270 degrees) lots of granite rocks and I got too much traction. I heard a loud pop. It still works but when it slips a little it is noise like metal is chattering back and forth. I inspected it and found that I broke the upper axle bolt off. Had dealer repair it, they said it’s fine (Still same). Took it back and showed them it. They kept it for 2 more days and said we can’t seem to find the issue and told me to break it (I know him well for over 20yrs). They need to crack the diff open and take a look but have been reluctant. I’ll make it happen next visit but wanted to weigh my options as to a full housing replacement. CV axles have been great. Thanks in advance!

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is crunchy on the inside(driver side). I had to use 4wheel drive to back up a steep dirt driveway, left it engaged. Later I went around a long left had turn (maybe about 270 degrees) lots of granite rocks and I got too much traction. I heard a loud pop. It still works but when it slips a little it is noise like metal is chattering back and forth. I inspected it and found that I broke the upper axle bolt off. Had dealer repair it, they said it’s fine (Still same). Took it back and showed them it. They kept it for 2 more days and said we can’t seem to find the issue and told me to break it (I know him well for over 20yrs). They need to crack the diff open and take a look but have been reluctant. I’ll make it happen next visit but wanted to weigh my options as to a full housing replacement. CV axles have been great. Thanks in advance!

Not familiar with the construction of the torsion-style diff myself, but that's probably where the issue lies (I've only run full spools, Detroit lockers and Power-loks posi's prior to owing the GEN2 Raptor). Also not terribly familiar with the front diff housing on our Raptors, but on my Old '05 Chevy Silverado there was a fist-sized plastic check-valve for the vent tube... I was able to thread this out to inspect the gear pattern which changing the gears. There has to be some way to inspect gear run-out pattern on these, so I'd try tracing the vent tube back to diff housing and see if you have a similar setup--its probably the same or similar Borg-Warner units used by nearly everyone else. Anyway, you should be to remove this or find some other inspection cover to remove to inspect the ring gear teeth for chipping (tell-tale signs of a damaged differential assembly). If you are lucky, you might be able to see the differential itself.

tplee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not familiar with the construction of the torsion-style diff myself, but that's probably where the issue lies (I've only run full spools, Detroit lockers and Power-loks posi's prior to owing the GEN2 Raptor). Also not terribly familiar with the front diff housing on our Raptors, but on my Old '05 Chevy Silverado there was a fist-sized plastic check-valve for the vent tube... I was able to thread this out to inspect the gear pattern which changing the gears. There has to be some way to inspect gear run-out pattern on these, so I'd try tracing the vent tube back to diff housing and see if you have a similar setup--its probably the same or similar Borg-Warner units used by nearly everyone else. Anyway, you should be to remove this or find some other inspection cover to remove to inspect the ring gear teeth for chipping (tell-tale signs of a damaged differential assembly). If you are lucky, you might be able to see the differential itself.

I should say, the torsion diff is probably where your issue lies IF they've already looked at your CV's...otherwise that's the first thing I'd check/suspect.

OP
OP
Booth9999

Booth9999

Reaction score
Well the snows gone here so in she goes today. I think it either lost a tooth on the gears or the torsen exploded, but it is definitely getting a little worse. I’ll update when she is home.

OP
OP
Booth9999

Booth9999

Reaction score
I broke a bolt off the top of the differential so it was flopping around. But you couldn’t tell with the weight of the truck on it. Never had another issue with the front diff; Sold it with 122000 on it.