Anyone know any info about an IWE hose TSB?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowesEsq

Reaction score
Had the same grinding issue and found that Ford had issues a Special Service Message ("SSM") on it--47329/47360--which described it as follows:

Intermittent Grinding Noise From Integrated Wheel Ends (“IWE”); caused by an intermittent leak in the check valve; occurs on acceleration only and only when in 2WD (and sometimes 4A); parts potentially impacted:
o Check valve
o Actuators
o Hubs
o Vacuum Lines

I shared these videos with them so they didn't further f-up my truck trying to recreate the issue:
Same sound:

Lower sound quality:

Terrible video, but sound is audible:

As a result of my research, they pressure tested the check valve on my 2017 and it had a leak. Replaced it and the problem has almost fully disappeared. Still get a faint and temporary grind when shifting from 4WD back to 2WD.

Sucks that we have to educate Ford's Service Departments on this obviously prolific issue and that the issue exists at all in not-inexpensive vehicles. I've had more issues with this vehicle in 1 year/25,000 miles than I've had with a fleet of other vehicles, mostly Infinitis. Too bad, as I love the look and drive (when it's running right) of my Raptor.

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford Dealer said they could not replicate the noise, drove my truck for 40 miles, and no repair done. I washed it before dropping it off Monday so they would not have to work on a muddy truck. I left it running since it was cold and probably got water into the system. When it goes back it will be on a tow truck.

Therock88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea how much of this would be covered by the Ford Premium care extended warranty?
These things are only ~ $20 for an updated part (blue diaphragm) and take about 5 minutes or less to install. I would not even bother with going to a dealer for something like that...seems more trouble than its worth?

I had no issues with mine, but changed it for good measure because it was SO easy and CHEAP. (eBay Link)

DC

Attachments

• IWE.jpg
    IWE.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 11

solsurfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found the TSB on NHTSA site.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10149748-9999.pdf

Most TSBs can be found here by entering you VIN or Year Make Model

https://www.nhtsa.gov/

I've had this TSB done a year ago. I'm on my 3rd vacuum check valve and now the symptom (2WD front end grinding/rubbing noise) is back. I ordered 2 more check valves and I know the grinding will disappear for about a year then it will come back.

@FordTechOne -- do you know if there is an update to this TSB at all? Any recommendations to try to get this fixed once and for all?