Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Anyone install a cam yet?

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Engine Discussion and Performance Mods' started by whtrapta, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Maxx2893

Maxx2893 Rock and Roll Offroad Supporting Member

He meant mrpositrac

2. keatonskidmore

keatonskidmore FRF Addict

yes i meant mrpositrac..

3. The Tank

The Tank FRF Addict

Yeah, I know with my truck I had horrible detonation and fouled a set of plugs before the truck 30K miles. I was 4 hours from home when I killed most of the plugs. That Monday after I got home I called Troyer Performance and got a fresh tune and haven't had a problem since.

4. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss FRF Addict

I know I have a 6.2 but let me tell you I have been through this with my 6.2 Chevy. The tune is what makes the engine perform and THERE ARE A LOT OF OTHER THINGS that have to be taken into consideration as well. There are so many parameters that can be tuned or have to be tuned like when you go from reverse to drive and you are not at a complete stop the engine will stall if the idle is not set perfectly to account for the small momentum of the truck when the forward gear engages. Slowing down quickly on the freeway in traffic, stop and go in traffic so the truck will not lurch. Fixed that on the Chevy by adjusting leaning out in that condition. The transmission is also involved because the engine programming can make it do thing you don’t want as well.

It took 10 test drives with the laptop hooked up during 4 of those to get it perfect. You can keep all of the super chargers because there is nothing like a tuned truck with the right exhaust, medium lope sitting at a stop light sitting at a stoplight! That cam got a the truck a lot of looks and questions. The Raptor set up that way would be just sick!! I am waiting on work to be done with the tune so I don’t have to do it all myself!

5. T palms

T palms Member

correct me if i'm wrong but wouldn't a cam from ford racing keep the warranty intact? or is that just a crazy wish? i love the sound of the hot rod cams and i'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on it

6. Yogurt Raptor

Yogurt Raptor Full Access Member

Very informative!!! Can you elaborate on this? You started with what tune? Adjusted it ?? If im following correctly this was on your 6.2L Chevrolet? What all parameters did you adjust etc.. I agree with you that a vehicle specific dialed in tune to all the mods done (exhaust, intake, throttle body, CAM, Headers, Cut Out etc.) has got to be way more efficient than just a tune set up for a truck without dialing all this in exactly.
    Im just trying to figure out how you exactly dialed in all these parameters with just trial/error? Or what??

Thanks in advance. BTTThread that is a good question a Ford Racing Cam installed by Ford would probably be one of those Mods where some stealerships would void warranty other Mod friendly dealerships would let it fly.

7. whisler151

whisler151 FRF Addict

Crazy wish. Not to mention their cams for the 6.2 wont fit without aftermarket pistons.

8. RatedSVT

RatedSVT FRF Addict

Why are you taking out the Hot Rod cams? And what would replace them?

9. The Tank

The Tank FRF Addict

If I don't trade to a 2013. I want to put a high compression 2013 GT500 short block with a good set of ported 3V heads so the hot rod cams wouldn't be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RatedSVT likes this.
  10. 6.2

6.2 Banned

its sprsnk
    he doesnt need luck to do it lol.