Anyone have UV film or tint on their front windshield? I have a question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking with my window tint guy today about getting my windows done when my new truck shows up. I want to do a UV film (Air 30) on the front windshield. I've heard great things about doing this on large windshields in both hot and cold climates. And we see both extremes here in the mountains. My installer asked me to see if anyone has had this done and if they've had any issues with water and the trucks electronics. He said several manufacturers are now mounting PCM modules and other electronics to the inside of the firewall below the windshield. Obviously water is bad for these and even with towels and being careful, some water is going to run down the glass to this area.

So long story short, if you have any film on your front windshield of your Gen 3, did you have any issues with the install and water/electronics?

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
dirtlvr

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any experienced tinter knows to put towels down on the dash to keep water from getting underneath
Yes, I mentioned that in my post. But even with towels he said you could get some moisture down there. So he said better to ask the question on the forum just be be sure. This guy does most of the exotic cars in my area and has been in the business for long time. He's just being cautious, which I appreciate.

gtaboyz

Reaction score
I have had my windshields tinted on over a dozen vehicles during the past 15 years to include 3 Hummers, 2 Gen 2 Raptors, and the latest last week a 2021 TRX, never had an issue. My tint guy has been in business over 25 years and uses an absorbent rope cord along with towels. He actually also uses a special stick down disposable barrier on the tops of the door sills so water doesn’t get into the stitching on the leather and expand. Absolutely no issues. Once you have your windshield done, you will never not do it again. Actually just did carbon fiber tint last week on a TRX and it is amazing what the difference is in holding heat out vs std tint and I live in SW Florida.

Olsen Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my windshields tinted on over a dozen vehicles during the past 15 years to include 3 Hummers, 2 Gen 2 Raptors, and the latest last week a 2021 TRX, never had an issue. My tint guy has been in business over 25 years and uses an absorbent rope cord along with towels. He actually also uses a special stick down disposable barrier on the tops of the door sills so water doesn’t get into the stitching on the leather and expand. Absolutely no issues. Once you have your windshield done, you will never not do it again. Actually just did carbon fiber tint last week on a TRX and it is amazing what the difference is in holding heat out vs std tint and I live in SW Florida.
please PM me your tinter! I am in Naples and am in need of getting some tint done.

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No issue on any of my ford trucks. I did buy a temporary Dodge once and had the windshield tinted there was a bit of water ran behind the dash. The horn honked every time I turned the wheel for the next hour until it dried.

CodeOrangeGen3

Reaction score
Can you see the "hologram effect" wearing polarized sunglasses on the clear windshield tint? I've never looking into the tint since I assumed the windshield would be the same as the sides. That would be super annoying to me.

OP
OP
dirtlvr

dirtlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you see the "hologram effect" wearing polarized sunglasses on the clear windshield tint? I've never looking into the tint since I assumed the windshield would be the same as the sides. That would be super annoying to me.
Great question. The film my installer recommended is LLumar Air 80, link below. Most forums claim little to no issues with this and polarized sunglasses. But I'd love to hear from people on this forum.