Anyone Have the Recon RED Smoke Tail Lights Installed? Quality? Brightness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just yesterday, after recently going through the trouble of smoking my tail lights a couple weeks ago, I went and did a very minor jump without realizing that my tailgate was down:favorites68:......(Guess I had hit the tailgate release button on the fob without knowing it). So when I landed, the tailgate sprung up into the closed position pretty hard and "somehow" cracked the very thin, brittle edge of my tail lights. I guess the bedsides flexed upon landing. Now I really wish I would have added the KHC bed side supports(that D3 SS 3D installed recently). So, instead of going to the trouble of smoking them over again myself, after buying a set of used OEM Raptor tails, I'm thinking I'll just go ahead get some already smoked, but the choices seem limited with the BLIS system.

Anyone have these RECON Red & Smoked tails? If so, how bright are the Brake lights(no pictures/videos online showing brakes activated)?
Anyone in Texas been pulled over for them being too dark?
Anyone have issues with RECON being crappy quality? 90 day warranty isn't long.

Recon 264268LEDRBK 6.jpegRecon 264268LEDRBK.jpgRecon 264268LEDRBK 2.jpgRecon 264268LEDRBK 4.jpgRecon 264268LEDRBK 3.jpg?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No experience with the tail lights proper, but I put one of their smoked third brake lights on my son’s black ‘19. Works well and no issue...looks good too on a dark truck.

Had an extra wire for a different type connection coming out of the light (in addition to the one for the Ford truck) as I recall...just taped it up, and tucked it up in the recess.

Ducc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had them for about two months now with no problems. I can get you a video later with them at night if that helps. I've heard about quality issues so I still have my stock ones in the garage. So far so good.

Attachments

• 20210203_183442.jpg
    20210203_183442.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 39

Moridin

Reaction score
These are not Recon per se (or are they?), it's always hard to tell if they're not all from the same overseas plant.

But anyways, I got these in early 2020 and they've worked like a charm. Not ridiculously smoked to cause issues with Cali CHP, plenty bright at night, but definitely smoked enough to look much better than the bright red OEMs.

VIPMOTOZ Smoked Tails

BLIS module also transferred over no problem. All in all was a very easy and painless process, and they were surprisingly inexpensive.

That Amazon link I posted has several reviews with pictures of the lights in day/night.

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had dealings with Recon back years ago with my GMC Deisel and I had replaced headlights taillights third brake light and roof marker lights I had to replace the marker lights after about two years because the led bulbs had burned out Recon said they were not covered because it’s a time based length of life something like 8000 hours I explained that from the purchase time to the time of burn out they would have had to of been on for half the year 24/7 over that two year period one year 24/7 was 8760 hours so I’m not buying it but had other issues with customer service with returns and purchasing items. Just my two cents!

OP
OP
WillieFlo

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had dealings with Recon back years ago with my GMC Deisel and I had replaced headlights taillights third brake light and roof marker lights I had to replace the marker lights after about two years because the led bulbs had burned out Recon said they were not covered because it’s a time based length of life something like 8000 hours I explained that from the purchase time to the time of burn out they would have had to of been on for half the year 24/7 over that two year period one year 24/7 was 8760 hours so I’m not buying it but had other issues with customer service with returns and purchasing items. Just my two cents!

That’s been my exact concerns. The problem isn’t likely to be the LEDs. More likely to be the crappy Chinese boards and drivers they use.

Thanks.

Last edited: