Anyone have the 801A that regrets not getting the 802A?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They sure do. But I'm waiting for year three or four of gen 3 and I'll likely be paying invoice ... I'll enjoy watching the beta testers wring out the new gen in the meantime before I jump in.

I stopped buying crank windows when the electric ones became more reliable. But there was quite a time period when electric was available where I did buy manual windows. And manual transmissions. My 2020 is my first truck with an automatic ... and I wish it was a manual. Having a computer "learn" my habits and then shift for me is really annoying. Just connect the engine to the wheels please. The same way every time. I'll take reliable over whizzy every day. Tech for the sake of tech isn't my thing.
Cautiously safe and wanting reliability over bells and whistles. Respectable choice. Maybe not mine, but in this case it’s still a Raptor.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
801A here as well on my 2020 and absolutely zero regrets. The only thing missing I couldn't get separate from the 802A is the heated steering wheel but that can be swapped in the future if I want. As far as looks go, I definitely prefer the black mirrors and door handles, a bit of contrast goes a long way on a white truck.

I got what I considered the "must haves" out of the 802A on my truck which was:
- Torsen front diff
- Bed lights
- Trailer brake controller (not sure if this includes BLIS but my truck has it)
- Remote start
- Mirror spot lights
(Also, not sure about 2019s but for 2020 the 801A trucks got the larger gauge cluster screen that allows you to look at all the engine parameters etc.)

Outside of those things I don't see a huge need for the fancy interior lights or the 360 camera or adaptive cruise control etc. I didn't want a sunroof and worry about it clogging, I didn't want a push button start, I didn't care about memory seats or power mirrors. A lot of this stuff I had on my gen 1 raptor and barely ever used. Some of them developed glitches after time and became more wearisome than they were worth.

Some might laugh at this but one of the things that was huge for me was not having dual zone climate control. I wanted fan speed on a dial. My gen 1 had the dual zone and I hated pushing the buttons to change speed and the only way you could see fan speed was to push one of the up or down buttons to make it appear on the center screen. Now I have a knob and if I want to know what the fan speed is I just have to glance down at the knob.

Everybody has their own wants and needs though so evaluate your own situation accordingly. I don't have a spouse who drives my truck so I only have to consider for myself. I have another car that I use for daily needs so I don't need to worry about parking in tight spots most of the time. I'm not a huge audiophile so having a bumping stereo system isn't a big priority to me.

But I do need a truck to tow my racecar so a trailer brake was a must. I go camping a fair amount and often far away so having lights and a better front diff was important. I live in Michigan, don't have a garage that the truck can fit in, and winter is no fun when starting your vehicle means scraping off snow first so having a remote start and heated seats was a big want.

Last edited:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Everybody has their own wants and needs though so evaluate your own situation accordingly.
This is the important point. Everyone is different. I know that I'm an outlier when it comes to luxury. I grew up poor and was uncomfortable most of the time, so not being cold or hot and having a place to sit and relax feels luxurious. A/C, a heater, and a comfortable seat are the big three ... everything else is optional. The reason I went 801a over 800a was the 10-way heated seats. And they were worth every penny. BLIS came with 801a and is nice only because the mirrors are a little deficient, not having a wide angle section. I'd rather have decent mirrors. I'd get remote start again. I would not get the applique or the tailgate step. The applique traps dust and the tailgate step lets gravel into the inside of the tailgate where it rattles around. The Torsen is worth the money but I could live without it. The idea of a moonroof just makes me laugh and shake my head.

The reason I hate tech in cars is that I worked in the tech industry. I know how it works. Tech gets outdated so quickly it can make your head spin. When's the last time you kept a computer or a phone for more than three years? And wasn't it a total dog when you dumped it? And tech is always buggy. How many weird intermittent problems do computers and phones have? How often do you have to power off completely and restart? Now we're driving around in computers with wheels. Mine has had a few weird problems that popped up and then vanished. Minor stuff like a transfer case that refused to shift out of 4L. :( And tech is complicated. Lots of sensors and connectors. If one fails, which is only a matter of time, the vehicle can stop working even though there's nothing wrong mechanically. It's expensive to trouble shoot and fix when it breaks. Other than that, it's great. It thrills me to no end wondering when my truck will decide to go **** up for no reason in the middle of nowhere and leave me stranded. When you're alone 50 miles from pavement and 100 miles from cell coverage, reliability suddenly seems more important than a rich feature set ... but that's just me. I've never worried about getting stranded in the drive through at Starbucks. :)

Edit: typo

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a well “a la carte” optioned 2018 801a (sync/nav/panoroof/torsen/beadlocks/appliqué/tailgate step/etc) that I owned for 2.5 years & 36k miles that got totaled by a distracted driver & was then paid out so much that it covered the initial purchase price of my 2018 new + Ttl + $2300 worth of mods & I still had $2000 leftover - I got stroked a check for $68,800 end of 2020, I owned my 2018 outright.

so I had $70k I could drop straight up on a vehicle- I could buy “anything”, inventories were getting tight @ the time & while there were PLENTY of 802a trucks remaining in a 500 mile radius, the amount of 801a & 800a trucks was slim, & I didn’t want 800a in a 2020 I wanted leather & CarPlay in the least- I wanted another 801a

long story short found pretty much the exact 2020 801a I wanted in leadfoot

do I regret not getting an 802a?? Ahhhh No. I obviously have the means but there’s so much superfluous crap added on & a lot of it tacky IMHO- those plastic body colored mirror caps look like a late 90s aftermarket add on- the rough textured plain black plastic is MUCH more suited for a real offroad vehicle & looks more rugged & fits the truck better.

I dislike push button start/smart keys- all set- just don’t like em. Especially don’t like em in a truck when I KNOW it’ll crack eventually too lol

A well optioned 801a much more appealing to my wants/needs, I dislike tech for techs sake- I could care less bout adaptive cruise. Only option I wish I could have on an 801a is the 360 camera.

some people prefer the more utilitarian/rugged aspect of a mid/low level trim over a crazy optioned up one