Anyone have experience with Dara truck mounted holsters?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spooky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found this company that uses a Ram mount to mount a holster on the lower dash. You can also get them with a quick disconnect so you can swap holsters/weapons. I like the fact that it is a secure mount with little chance to flop around and that it mounts to a relatively inexpensive part of the truck I case I want to go back to a hole free interior. Does anyone have experience with this set up?

duty-mounted-holsters-1.jpeglight_bearing_ram_mounted_holster_alqd-11__53619.1619545497.jpeg

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's interesting. I would not leave my pistol in there when I get out of the truck. Wonder if your legs would bang into it while driving.

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That does seem nice. I’ve used a gun magnet on the center console down next to my leg for years. Everything from a Glock 43 to a 2011 and have never had a gun come loose on the road and off road. My only concern with the setup above would be hitting my leg. Hard to tell without trying it out.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That's interesting. I would not leave my pistol in there when I get out of the truck. Wonder if your legs would bang into it while driving.

I’ll go a step further and put on my ‘Range Puritan’ hat.
That positioning is conducive to holing your leg or foot, though with practice you could work out the draw stroke to make it more safe.

That said, I’d be really hesitant to leave any accessory visible in the Raptor, or any F series truck because they’re so easy to break into that a 4 year old can do it. Even if you take the gun with you, thieves will see the holster and think gun, and whatever else you have in the truck could easily end up in someone else’s hands.

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ll go a step further and put on my ‘Range Puritan’ hat.
That positioning is conducive to holing your leg or foot, though with practice you could work out the draw stroke to make it more safe.

That said, I’d be really hesitant to leave any accessory visible in the Raptor, or any F series truck because they’re so easy to break into that a 4 year old can do it. Even if you take the gun with you, thieves will see the holster and think gun, and whatever else you have in the truck could easily end up in someone else’s hands.
So true. I do wonder if the holster is usable when removed from the ram mount.

Avocet

Reaction score
I used a Ram mount to hold my iPad (OnXhunt app). Worked well. It is strong and reliable.

However, I chose to go with a Grey Man Tactical Molle plate that attaches with straps to the passenger seat back. I then modified a Blackhawk Serpa holster (has a gun retention feature that I like) and mounted it with a magazine holder on the plate. Simple matter to reach behind the seat and snatch the gun. This system has the advantage of not putting holes in your dash.

I'd show you a picture, but the system, along with my Glock 20, went up in flames when my truck (old Dodge Ram) burned in June.

So now I have to buy a Raptor to hold my new Glock. The sacrifices we sometimes have to make, huh?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So now I have to buy a Raptor to hold my new Glock. The sacrifices we sometimes have to make, huh?
This will give you the most expensive Gl*ck holster in the history of mankind.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
I had something similar in my superduty. Was a magnet and could rack a round while it has there. Never left it in the truck, just easier to have there while driving with these unprecedented times.
20201206_130122.jpg
20201206_130148.jpg

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short version: Off body carry sucks.

Without going in to a lot of detail, I've spent a lot of years in a very busy Homicide office and would not recommend off body carry. It is a very good way to get shot, disarmed, or disarmed and shot. The trouble is you are generally in a reactive state as a concealed carrier and must access your weapon while under some level of direct observation by a person or persons with ill intent. People reaching for things get shot. On the nonb-bad guy side, it's also likely to cause you to be removed from your vehicle and separated if you get pulled over by police. Depending on time and context, you may find yourself at gunpoint. I never do anything wrong, you say, which is fine until your vehicle matches the description of a robbery suspect's vehicle a few blocks over...Think both odds and stakes.

On body carry allows you to feign compliance and draw in a more disguised manner. It allows you to step out from the vehicle and still be armed. It is not visible from outside of the vehicle. Imagine this: Stopped at a red light, panhandler turns carjacker and has a firearm pointed at you through the passenger side window. People say they'd drive off, but then you're at his decision to fire or not since you can't get away faster than he can shoot. Can you access that doo-dad before eating rounds? Or is it better to feign compliance, exit the vehicle so you have cover, and then deal with the problem? I know which has resulted in corpses in the seat more often.

Find a holster you can draw from while seat belted in and carry on body. If you aren't familiar with Ernest Langdon, look into his concealed carry program and 4 step draw, which once ingrained allows you to easily draw and clear the steering wheel while not flagging yourself. This is important, as I've seen many folks get excited and put a round through their leg or foot getting on the trigger early during their event. It's a real lousy day when you shoot yourself then get shot by the bad guy as well.

OP
OP
Spooky

Spooky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short version: Off body carry sucks.

Without going in to a lot of detail, I've spent a lot of years in a very busy Homicide office and would not recommend off body carry. It is a very good way to get shot, disarmed, or disarmed and shot. The trouble is you are generally in a reactive state as a concealed carrier and must access your weapon while under some level of direct observation by a person or persons with ill intent. People reaching for things get shot. On the nonb-bad guy side, it's also likely to cause you to be removed from your vehicle and separated if you get pulled over by police. Depending on time and context, you may find yourself at gunpoint. I never do anything wrong, you say, which is fine until your vehicle matches the description of a robbery suspect's vehicle a few blocks over...Think both odds and stakes.

On body carry allows you to feign compliance and draw in a more disguised manner. It allows you to step out from the vehicle and still be armed. It is not visible from outside of the vehicle. Imagine this: Stopped at a red light, panhandler turns carjacker and has a firearm pointed at you through the passenger side window. People say they'd drive off, but then you're at his decision to fire or not since you can't get away faster than he can shoot. Can you access that doo-dad before eating rounds? Or is it better to feign compliance, exit the vehicle so you have cover, and then deal with the problem? I know which has resulted in corpses in the seat more often.

Find a holster you can draw from while seat belted in and carry on body. If you aren't familiar with Ernest Langdon, look into his concealed carry program and 4 step draw, which once ingrained allows you to easily draw and clear the steering wheel while not flagging yourself. This is important, as I've seen many folks get excited and put a round through their leg or foot getting on the trigger early during their event. It's a real lousy day when you shoot yourself then get shot by the bad guy as well.
You make some decent points, but at the end of the day, body carry serves a purpose and vehicle mounted serves another. The vehicle mounted is for long road trips where concealed carry becomes uncomfortable and intolerable. Drawing from a seated position can be inconsistent at best, especially with a seatbelt on. Especially when your 6'6" 275.......

As a former LEO, I'm comfortable around the Po Po and have never had any issues dealing with them during a traffic stop. Usually if you pull over quickly, turn on your dome light, roll down your windows and keep your hands on the wheel, it does a lot to give them a sense of security and they usually ask "Are you Law Enforcement?." I always announce I'm carrying. If they want to pull me out of the vehicle for their safety, so be it. Been there, done that. If they're pointing guns, I'll just move a 'lil slower.....

I would not feign compliance, I would comply

I'm familiar with Langdon and have taught his techniques to many a student. The main issue with his technique in a vehicle is your elbow. If you're a wide individual, you chicken wing usually gets knocked into something and prevents an easily repeatable draw. I've actually had to draw a weapon on a carjacker.....granted he was unarmed =D, but he was still attempting to pull me out of the vehicle. (gotta love Washington D.C.). Luckily I was able to draw from my strong side and he was looking at a 9mm when his head entered the cockpit.

But yeah, all good points to consider....