Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Anyone have a pic of 2019 OEM beadlocks setup as beadlocks?

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Exterior Forum [GEN 2]' started by Droid, Mar 31, 2020.

1. TheC-Don

TheC-Don Member

That is great! I need to do this...

Swarfworks likes this.
  2. ericburney

ericburney Desert is the best medicine

I asked soecialty OMF Wheels if they would build some aftermarket beadlock rings equal or better than the FP Rings ... I gave them my 17 wheel and FP ring to study. They concluded they couldn't do it any better and if they made any, it would be at a much higher price. FWIW

amREADY, Booth9999 and Swarfworks like this.
  3. Swarfworks

Swarfworks FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

That’s really interesting Eric. Makes me feel a little better about saying that they did a good job designing them. lol.

4. 911 Crazy

911 Crazy FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dumb, dumb newbie question. What is a beadlocked tire?

5. Swarfworks

Swarfworks FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

A true beadlock is a 2-piece wheel that literally clamps the outer bead of the tire to the wheel.

The forged beadlock wheel option on the Raptors allows you to do this when you buy a separate ring. You remove a trim ring, then you dismount the outer bead, install the new beadlock ring.

The pro’s are that you can’t roll a bead off. Which can happen running low pressure like at the sand dunes.

The cons are that you have to purchase it separately and they aren’t DOT legal. Technically. So no major tire shop will touch them.

Geepaw, Troutrad and Don S like this.
  6. 911 Crazy

911 Crazy FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

OK, makes sense now. Thanks

Swarfworks likes this.
  7. Dirtypope

Dirtypope Full Access Member

Do you use them as daily driving. Someone told me you can’t use beadlock rings in high rate of speed

8. lateralis

lateralis Full Access Member

Bead locks are only going to give you problems if they aren't installed properly. IE not torqued down correctly. Sure, some states say that they are illegal for road use but I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for running bead locks. With so many bead lock "look" wheels out I don't think any cop is going to really bother to look. I mean... they really got to know what they are looking at.

The biggest issue with running bead locks is you average shop isn't going to touch them when changing or fixing the tires. So you will most likely have to do your own tire changes and plugs/patches. Take your tires off, mount the new ones and than go to your local tire shop to have them balanced/dispose of the old tires. It's more of an inconvenience than anything. Oh, and they are usually a lot heavier than your average rim. I'm not sure but I think the stock bead locks come in around 37 lbs. Might be 38-39 lbs with the bead lock ring. From what I've seen for non bead lock aftermarket rims going around here in a 17" it seems about 26-28 lbs is the average.

Booth9999, Swarfworks and Dirtypope like this.
  9. Dirtypope

Dirtypope Full Access Member

Thank you!! Makes more sense now

10. Tolliver

Tolliver Member

All- I just got a 2020 SCREW and i am looking at bead locks. Really bc we travel on sand a decent amount. I also do a lot of highway driving. Any suggestions on if I should consider and if so, could you post a link? Tires are stock at this time. Thanks!