Anyone Experience Back Discomfort in Drivers Seat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jesus Rice

What the duck are you doing over there bro? Selling kidneys? I'm sure you can make a go fund me and make a few dollars or dance at the club locally for $5s. DAMN.
i have had lots of injuries over the years. half were from other people. half were due to my own idiotic nature. this time is a herniated disc pushing on my nerve down my leg. lots of leg pain, so it appears i will be going in again soon. i find my gen 1 seat confortable when i lay the seat all the way down. i have slept in my truck and honda a couple times in the last few weeks just because its the most comforable position for me. i cant sleep in bed because the flat area hurts my hip and leg. i dont sleep well, but i sleep the best in the seat of the car or truck. hopefully the next surgery fixes me. the thought of wrapping me in bubble wrap has been thrown around by the family.

OP
OP
AutoXRacer

AutoXRacer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, ok... not going to complain after seeing you poor guys with all these back issues.

I just discovered this weekend that my issue is body position and fighting the lane centering warning...

My discomfort, which is nothing compared to you guys is right below the right shoulder blade... feels like a sharp dull broom handle being pushed into your back.... right below the shoulder blade.

I noticed, if I relax my left hand (driving hand) and just test it on the steering wheel... pain goes away. Or if I put both hands on the wheel the pain goes away.

I noticed the pain comes when I'm trying to weigh or counter weigh the lane centering control.

It's not a seat issue.... it's a body position issue in regards to fighting / counter weighing the lane centering driving aid.

Anyone else notice this...?
Stupid Ford, all this would be resolved with Blue Cruise... lmao

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jesus Rice

What the duck are you doing over there bro? Selling kidneys? I'm sure you can make a go fund me and make a few dollars or dance at the club locally for $5s. DAMN.
Killing me man ahahahahahah

Idaho Savage

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn, ok... not going to complain after seeing you poor guys with all these back issues.

I just discovered this weekend that my issue is body position and fighting the lane centering warning...

My discomfort, which is nothing compared to you guys is right below the right shoulder blade... feels like a sharp dull broom handle being pushed into your back.... right below the shoulder blade.

I noticed, if I relax my left hand (driving hand) and just test it on the steering wheel... pain goes away. Or if I put both hands on the wheel the pain goes away.

I noticed the pain comes when I'm trying to weigh or counter weigh the lane centering control.

It's not a seat issue.... it's a body position issue in regards to fighting / counter weighing the lane centering driving aid.

Anyone else notice this...?
Stupid Ford, all this would be resolved with Blue Cruise... lmao
I know all about this...been fighting it for a few years. Are you at a desk or CPU during the day?

I made huge strides by doing restorative yoga (intense stretching) and a few passive exercises that I do through out the day--firing muscle groups thatvotherwise might go unused. Basically, the muscles that run from your lower back all the way to the side of your head get weak, tired and inflamed due to repetitive poor positioningand lack of use....often culminating in the shoulder blade area. Make sure monitors are positioned at exactly eye height, chairs are the right height, feet flat on floor, keyboard low enough, etc.

Regarding our trucks, the headrest is too far forward for me and would set my neck off (and blades eventually). I did some research and ended up bending the headrest legs in a vice. They now don't put my head so far forward which keeps it from becoming aggravating during long drives. Ford has them that far forward to minimize whiplash in crashes, so be aware of that.

Hope this helps.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tried... helped a little... but noticed they don't stay inflated.

Worried they are the same crappy lumbar Ford has in the 80s.... stupid air bag.
Mine stay inflated but I barely inflate them. And when you say crappy from the 80s, I wouldn’t know but what I do know is they suck for not being able to be moved up and down.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my new truck for a few days now. I have to agree with the OP that the seat isn't the best. (for me at least) I have screws and plates in my spine as well, but the uncomfortable part is the mid back area. The seat isn't wide enough and pressures my rib cage. I don't look forward to travelling with this truck. With all the research Ford supposedly does why would they digress the comfortability of their seats like this. I also find the mirror design isn't as good either. Strike 2.