Anyone Experience Back Discomfort in Drivers Seat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
Maybe try one of the aftermarket lumbar support cushions. They have some amazing ones now that you can plug in, heat-vibrate etc. Relax the Back has some great stuff ;)

Lumbar Support Pillow/Back Cushion, Memory Foam Orthopedic Backrest for Car Seat, Office/Computer Chair and Wheelchair,Breathable & Ergonomic Design for Back Pain Relief https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071WK4Z3Q/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
The seat heat helps my back when it's wrenched. Not often but I do use it even when it's hot outside. Still waiting on my '22, but my '18 has the most comfortable seats I've owned.

Maybe try one of those wood bead seat cover things the cab drivers love. lol

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple years ago I picked 4 bushels of tomatoes and my back was wrecked afterwards.
I though about the painful drive back home but after an hour in the saddle my back was completely relaxed.
Sorry OP, for me they’re the most comfy seats I’ve ever had and all my passengers agree. I have the leather seats.

I’ve found that after 240k miles in my Gen1, 45k in my Gen2…
They ALL KILL MY BACK, but them so does my recliner, my $6k bed, my bicycle and basically living…lolView attachment 356204View attachment 356205View attachment 356206
I can surely relate bro. I've got the older version (stainless steel). (L3-L4-L5-S1) The bolts have snapped off and feel like a mouth full of toothaches everyday. Makes for a happy life doesn't it?
I was an early lab rat for the development of more modern titanium pedicle screws like you have.
I've never personally laid eyes on an Gen 3 Raptor, so I don't know what to expect as far as seating. However, I'm going to miss the butt massagers in my King Ranch.

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After just spending the last five days in the seat of a Raptor driving down to Utah and Raptor Assault. My back and butt are in better shape than had I driven any of my other rigs...Lincoln included. I have the black leather seats and love them. So does the wife and she has back problems. I have been "Jone's 'ing" over the fact that mine did not end up being a 37 with the pretty Recaro seats but at RA I finally had the chance to compare the two versions. Short answer? I won't be giving up my leather seats. The Recaro are much firmer and hold you tighter. That would normally be a good thing ...."IF!" all you did was desert race. You can't squirm much in the Recaros and they start feeling hard pretty fast as the day goes on. I also noticed the blue velure gets dirty from the oils from your skin pretty easy. The RA trucks were all 2022's but the grime was showing already.

I have NO complaints about my black leather seats. They are super comphy and hold my ass with the bolsters just right.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve found that after 240k miles in my Gen1, 45k in my Gen2…
They ALL KILL MY BACK, but them so does my recliner, my $6k bed, my bicycle and basically living…lolView attachment 356204View attachment 356205View attachment 356206
Holy schnickes. My wife has some hardware at L4-5, also a bionic replacement hip. Luckily and fortunately, and I knock on wood, I’m all OEM.

As to the OP, I promise you I’m not bragging as when people do it causes reflux in my throat, but I’ve owned so many vehicles over the past 10 years I’ve lost count, all new, including 8 Porsches, each and every one with different seats.

My wife’s current vehicle is a 2021 Cayenne GTS, stickers at 127k, has the 14 way seats. They are just ok. I prefer the seats in my Gen3 and liked the seats in my Gen2 better also.
My first of three Gen2s had the black leather. I found the seat cushion too short. Couldn’t get used to it. Traded it after 10 months for a Platinum with massage. Compared to other massaging seats it was decent at best. Good for keeping you awake.

My second and third Gen2s had the Recaros. The seat cushion was almost an inch longer than the leather in 2017 and much better all around.
I now have the leather in my Gen3 and they are fine.

In the early 2000s I bought my first BMW, a 330xi, damn silky smooth inline 6, a snowmobile in the white stuff. But that year BMW cheaped out and left the seat cushion tilt function out. Gave the car to my son. Hated it.

Life is short. I would absolutely do something about it or trade it.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh, and I should add for context, we did 3 cross country drives, from NY to Moab, and Ny to Idaho, almost 7k miles each time, in 3 different Raptors and never experienced seat discomfort. And for the piece de resistance, I’m 65, my wife 67, and she has a bad back.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone feel discomfort in your back sitting in the driver's seat?
I am feeling discomfort in one particular spot on my back.
I try adjusting my body position without change / improvement.

Can't figure out what it is... don't have this issue in any of the other cars. Started since day one of owning the Gen3.

Sir/Ma'am/It, what is your age and diet?

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I should add for context, we did 3 cross country drives, from NY to Moab, and Ny to Idaho, almost 7k miles each time, in 3 different Raptors and never experienced seat discomfort. And for the piece de resistance, I’m 65, my wife 67, and she has a bad back.
Close to the same here, I am 68, Fibromyalgia and wife had back problems.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a back like John's, 3 operations and a bilevel fusion. My Recaro's are excellent for me. They seemed a little overly hard when new, but were great in a few thousand miles. I hope you find something that works, back pain sucks.

DMays

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried... helped a little... but noticed they don't stay inflated.

Worried they are the same crappy lumbar Ford has in the 80s.... stupid air bag.
Just happened to notice you said they deflate. Make sure once you inflate the lumbar you save your seat settings. If you pump them up mid drive then turn the truck off it will be back to the standard setting when you start the truck again. If you save the setting it should be the same as you had it each time. Just a thought