Anyone else thinking EV swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EV nuts are all about BEV's and that plug in hybrids are pointless. I disagree..
Hydrogen is a more realistic goal for vehicles. Toyota is all over it and suspect they are not the only ones.
I really think a variant of the lightning with a smaller, yes smaller battery for cost/weight, about 50 miles range but with a small natural gas ICE engine would be more usefull sooner. Basically, make the front end drive like a chevy volt but NGV.

The Volt had no problem in the MN winter, kept the raptor out the salted roads, and the battery weight distribution it did well in the slop.
Well, if I could have a 1G raptor that worked like the Chevy Volt I sold for a gain... It would be cool.. 40 or so miles on batt and then the ICE engine starts.

I think if Ford made a PHEV version of the F150 that functioned as well as the Volt it would be a hit.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The thing about VR that people don't get is how good it will be. You will prefer it to the real world.

My point was that I don't think people really need VR to look real, or even VR at all, to fully fall into a fake internet world. Gaming and social media can absorb you in, and you can fully surround yourself with humans and bots that are happy to tell you that you're an awesome human despite being jobless, skill less and mentally ill.

And your AI "best friend" will be perfect. Not good, but perfect once it trains on you a little bit. Real people, every single one of whom is füçked up in some major way, can't compete. It's going to be really wild. Interesting times.

I was partially joking about AI, but I don't think people want complete removal of conflict in their lives. People thrive off conflict, a challenge to resolve. They just want to remove any chance of real failure, all shame for bad choices, and the ability to respawn at will.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The EV nuts are all about BEV's and that plug in hybrids are pointless. I disagree..

I really think a variant of the lightning with a smaller, yes smaller battery for cost/weight, about 50 miles range but with a small natural gas ICE engine would be more usefull sooner. Basically, make the front end drive like a chevy volt but NGV.

The Volt had no problem in the MN winter, kept the raptor out the salted roads, and the battery weight distribution it did well in the slop.
Well, if I could have a 1G raptor that worked like the Chevy Volt I sold for a gain... It would be cool.. 40 or so miles on batt and then the ICE engine starts.

I think if Ford made a PHEV version of the F150 that functioned as well as the Volt it would be a hit.

I don't want a plug in hybrid that runs off NG, since I can't easily run to the corner gas station to fill up. And 50 mile range is a little on the low end.

I don't mind having an EV for typical daily use, and I want to have an ICE vehicle for when I need extended range. I just don't want to carry around the weight for more battery than I need on daily use, nor an ICE engine that not being used on a daily basis. Nor do I want to two vehicles. It would be rather cool if you could easily 'plug in' a battery/EV module or gas/ICE module to the same vehicle as needed. obviously, that's not realistic, but would provide the most efficient energy use depending on the specific needs for the driving you need to do that day.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My point was that I don't think people really need VR to look real, or even VR at all, to fully fall into a fake internet world. Gaming and social media can absorb you in, and you can fully surround yourself with humans and bots that are happy to tell you that you're an awesome human despite being jobless, skill less and mentally ill.
Gotcha. Yeah, the way people lose themselves in their phones you can see what's coming when it's an immersive environment.

I was partially joking about AI, but I don't think people want complete removal of conflict in their lives. People thrive off conflict, a challenge to resolve. They just want to remove any chance of real failure, all shame for bad choices, and the ability to respawn at will.
The AI can provide that. At the appropriate level of difficulty. And on the optimal reward schedule. For you personally, tuned on the fly. Real life will not compare. The good news is that I expect it to happen right about the time I'm too old for real challenges. :cool:

OP
OP
B

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't want a plug in hybrid that runs off NG, since I can't easily run to the corner gas station to fill up. And 50 mile range is a little on the low end.

Battery weight is the issue. The Volt only had a 3.6 kW battery and was still the most range of any PHEV.

It went about 50 miles on batt alone and a total of about 560 miles using both the batt and the 11.4-gallon fuel tank.

Assuming 14-18 mpg instead of 42 any long range users will want gas instead of NG but people ok with about 50 batt and 250 on NGV with nearby fills will be saving $

I only sold the volt in the spring because the used value went way up and with what the winter does around here if I spend another winter I'll get an old AWD rig that's already rusted.

If I move again before winter then I'll only have the Raptor to move cross country. From there another volt or a NGV civic on the side as a grocrery getter.

Last edited:

UsernameTaken

Reaction score
I live in the Nevada high desert 180 miles from Twin Falls, 258 miles from Boise, 244 miles from Salt Lake City, 304 miles from Reno, and 437 miles from Las Vegas.
So NO. EVs aren't ready for primetime in the rural US.

However, one of the race vehicles in last year's Dakar Rally was an EV with a 4-cylinder motor under the hood turning an alternator to recharge the battery while rolling. The combination simplified the driveline and extended the range. That kind of setup might work, but battery technology remains the limiting factor for now.
The only EV ever worth considering is a hybrid with batteries you can swap at home depot.

prove me wrong.