Anyone else thinking EV swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lightning.jpeg
It looks like a lighting drive assembly ought to fab easy into the front.

2022-Ford-F-150-Lightning-Frame-004-front.jpg
In the rear, I guess it would be best pulled off with a multilink IRS. Get an extra set of uprights that match the front long travel kit and then fabricate tabs, 5 DOM links per side with heims..

Last edited:

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Try driving thru Wyoming or Kansas in an EV vehicle!
I went hiking yesterday with my buddy that bought a Leaf maybe five years ago. It's a 25 mile round trip to my house and I wanted to do a hike that was a 20-25 mile round trip drive to get there and he had to ask me to drive because it would have put him so close to empty that he risked getting stranded. It had a range of 130 miles new. He's down to 60 now. I suggested that he look into how much it cost to replace the battery and that he might think about selling it to a college kid before it completely shit the bed.

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I live in the Nevada high desert 180 miles from Twin Falls, 258 miles from Boise, 244 miles from Salt Lake City, 304 miles from Reno, and 437 miles from Las Vegas.
So NO. EVs aren't ready for primetime in the rural US.

However, one of the race vehicles in last year's Dakar Rally was an EV with a 4-cylinder motor under the hood turning an alternator to recharge the battery while rolling. The combination simplified the driveline and extended the range. That kind of setup might work, but battery technology remains the limiting factor for now.