Anyone drive Black Bear Pass , CO. And Hells Revenge in Moab? in Raptor????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bronco2guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last year I went and drove some trails in Moab and Ouray CO. With smaller vehicle but this year. Plan on taking the Raptor I ordered. My question is has anyone taken there Raptor down Black Bear Pass in Colorado??? If so was your truck Supercab or Quad Cab? I have little more time I could change to Quadcab, but I do plan on offroading mine quite a bit and not sure I want the extra length??

Also at Moab, from what I remember shouldnt be to horrible to take Hell Revenge in the Raptor and also Fins and Things, any comments on that would be appreciated also.

Also I'm new to this site. But so far have read alot of great info!!

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an scab. I haven't done Black Bear yet. I'm waiting till the truck is older and has more body damage before/if I try. I think the widths going to make the switch backs tough. I did Imogene last year, and that had a couple tight spots on the Telluride side. Watching a crew cab Rap navigate Black Bear would be interesting for sure.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
Thats a suicide run to moab if you ask me. the width of the raptor will hurt it a ton and if you slide, you hit rock. Plus the lack of a front diff will not help.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and, the brakes are pretty good on the Raptor, but I've had them fade twice. One of which coming down Imogene. I didn't use 4 low (not sure it would have helped due to the idle) to assist the descend because I wanted the tighter turning radius for the turns/switchbacks. Starting the descend down I felt OK leaving it all up to the brakes, since at that point of my ownership, they hadn't let me down. Part of the problem was my 6.2 had a hard time finding idle over 9-10k feet. Most of the time it idled around 1000-1200rpm. The freak idle that set my Raptor at its own hyper pace hadn't been a issue till coming down; admittedly I over looked it, and didn't think ahead to use Neutral BEFORE the brakes had a melt down. I also took most straight sections too fast (because faster is funner in the Raptor lol), so that didn't help the problem any. I never lost control, or wasn't able to finally stop, but having 50% stroke of the brake pedal useless was a little hairy at times.

I wouldn't be scared to descend Imogene (or most passes) on the stock brakes again, but I'd be way more cautious. If I was going to attempt Black Bear I would definitely upgrade the pads to a high temp material, and flush the system with high temp fluid. The switchbacks are far less forgiving.

OP
OP
bronco2guy

bronco2guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think the brakes will be a problem going down black bear, I would be going slow to begin with and would forsure be in 4lo, I don't think I would want to try it in crew cab. But I think its possible in SuperCab. I watched extended cab short bed ranger go down it. I'm pretty sure I will try it. Just taking it easy with spotter on 1st 3 bad switch backs.

I love Imogene Pass -so excited about that.

BOJANGLES

<span style="color: red;"><b>Administrator</b></sp
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never been to Moab (yet) but I've done a little bit of reading on some of the famous hot-spots. I remember Fins & Things sounding like a fun spot to take the Raptor.

OP
OP
bronco2guy

bronco2guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep Ive ran in a diff veh, Fins/Things and Hells Revenge,

Fins/Things will be no issue in Raptor

Hells Revenge- Hardest part I think will be in the begining section of it. Saw a group of stock Hummer H2's the big ones make it thru..

Moab is trully amazing, and I was told some real nice fireroads. I have the Charles Wells Book about all the trails and it is very handy. I will take tons of pics when I go out, and if any one wanted to join I will post up when I go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bronco2guy

bronco2guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is part of Hells Revenge at the beginning that is little scary:
Where he is turning to go down, is where you enter and is pretty good incline.
100_2103.jpg
100_2023.jpg

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the brakes will be a problem going down black bear, I would be going slow to begin with and would forsure be in 4lo, I don't think I would want to try it in crew cab. But I think its possible in SuperCab. I watched extended cab short bed ranger go down it. I'm pretty sure I will try it. Just taking it easy with spotter on 1st 3 bad switch backs.

I love Imogene Pass -so excited about that.

I know H1's run Black Bear, but they're shorter and also have a tighter turning radius than the Scab. It would be interesting for sure. If you make a trip out here, let me know. I plan on running Engineer/Alpine loop, and Imogene/Ophir again this summer (hopefully a few times).