Anyone Cross Shop a Super Duty & Raptor???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY REPLY IN CAPS. and I am not yelling

Ended up getting a late build 2018 Raptor built just the way I wanted, at a dealer near Dearborn MI.
Had a build spot for late March on 2019, but didn't want to wait and loved Lead Foot color.

Pro's of Raptor (IMO)
  • Looks/Uniqueness LOOKS LIKE VERY OTHER TRUCK ON THE ROAD TO MOST PEOPLE
  • Limitless Modification/customization ability- APPLIES TO ANY TRUCK
  • Ride quality and ability to go off-road at my hobby farm SEE ABOVE
  • Size (Not too big, not too small) ITS THE HUGEST OFF ROAD TRUCK ON THE MARKET
  • Historically, has held value well TRUE
Con's (IMO)
  • Compromise in towing ability DONT BUY A RAPTOR IF YOU NEED TO TOW
  • High price relative to other half ton's and compared to Super Duty BELOW YOU NOTE THE SD COSTS MORE

OP
OP
BlazinPond

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MY REPLY IN CAPS. and I am not yelling

Ended up getting a late build 2018 Raptor built just the way I wanted, at a dealer near Dearborn MI.
Had a build spot for late March on 2019, but didn't want to wait and loved Lead Foot color.

Pro's of Raptor (IMO)
  • Looks/Uniqueness LOOKS LIKE VERY OTHER TRUCK ON THE ROAD TO MOST PEOPLE
  • Limitless Modification/customization ability- APPLIES TO ANY TRUCK
  • Ride quality and ability to go off-road at my hobby farm SEE ABOVE
  • Size (Not too big, not too small) ITS THE HUGEST OFF ROAD TRUCK ON THE MARKET
  • Historically, has held value well TRUE
Con's (IMO)
  • Compromise in towing ability DONT BUY A RAPTOR IF YOU NEED TO TOW
  • High price relative to other half ton's and compared to Super Duty BELOW YOU NOTE THE SD COSTS MORE

Sorry, but that wasn't the question or point of my thread.
You'll notice I included the "IMO" regarding the Pro's and con's of the Raptor.
Additionally, your commentary (and opinion) in CAPs makes little to no sense to me...
While I mostly disagree with you commentary, my opinion stated in first post has not changed.

To reiterate, the point of thread was about cross shopping a Super Duty F-250 and the need to tow something once per month on average.

Since you obviously skipped the other 5 pages in this thread, you'll notice that I resolved my question based on comments from those who actually cross shopped both or owned both.....and I'm sticking with my new Raptor.

I will tow once per month with my Raptor but could rent a Super Duty if necessary.
Otherwise, I will continue to try other spring options, including air bags.

spg993tt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like other, similar. i have had ram 2500s and a ram3500. they are awesome when doing that for which they were built. towing, hauling. lugging stuff around. but i just hated the size and girth, maneuverability, and speed, acceleration for the 340 days/year i wasn't towing to the race track. i love the raptor. fun machine. offroad, on road, just cruising to work. if i had to, maybe id just buy a 2004ish used 2500, 3500, dually just for towing. buy some base model with big motor and dedicate it for when i need to know. but race tracks around here don't open till spring so i got 5 months to think about it.

OP
OP
BlazinPond

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
like other, similar. i have had ram 2500s and a ram3500. they are awesome when doing that for which they were built. towing, hauling. lugging stuff around. but i just hated the size and girth, maneuverability, and speed, acceleration for the 340 days/year i wasn't towing to the race track. i love the raptor. fun machine. offroad, on road, just cruising to work. if i had to, maybe id just buy a 2004ish used 2500, 3500, dually just for towing. buy some base model with big motor and dedicate it for when i need to know. but race tracks around here don't open till spring so i got 5 months to think about it.

Thx. That's certainly an option to consider.

Hope you figure this out in the next 5 months too! LOL.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but that wasn't the question or point of my thread.
You'll notice I included the "IMO" regarding the Pro's and con's of the Raptor.
Additionally, your commentary (and opinion) in CAPs makes little to no sense to me...
While I mostly disagree with you commentary, my opinion stated in first post has not changed.

To reiterate, the point of thread was about cross shopping a Super Duty F-250 and the need to tow something once per month on average.

Since you obviously skipped the other 5 pages in this thread, you'll notice that I resolved my question based on comments from those who actually cross shopped both or owned both.....and I'm sticking with my new Raptor.

I will tow once per month with my Raptor but could rent a Super Duty if necessary.
Otherwise, I will continue to try other spring options, including air bags.

Agreed wtf was that nonsense?!?![emoji23]you will be extremely happy with a set leaf springs from Deaver or Icon.

My truck tows like a beast with the Deaver +2HD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

encardyle

Reaction score
Super duty over raptor any day. Made the same mistake like you when I bought the raptor. Regretted it the moment I saw the platinum f250 with a friend. That engine for sure is more powerful.

757Nomad

Reaction score
Just my opinion but I'm not a fan of the turbo on the 6.7 motors. Cold side outlet is oval shaped and just seems strange. I have seen those turbos grenade and those motors don't take modifications well. Now as they are coming out of warranty, true reliability will start showing on the 6.7. The interiors are great though. I personally have a 2004 SD lariat that is getting build locally and of the Ford diesel products, I like the 6.4 trucks once you pull the all the environmental controls from the motor. EGR and Exhaust fuel dump deletes and you are good to go. A sleeved 6.4 race built motor is going in my 2004 eventually.

The Rap is my daily and I love it but the SD is a different animal. I'm probably in the minority regarding my truck choices but having spent time wrenching on 3/4 ton diesels, a built 6.0/6.4 can be a great option for the money, in the ford family, but know you will probably need to drop another $5k on top to make it dead nuts forever reliable. Older rams are reliable but the interior and ride quality leaves much to be desired. As a true work truck they are great and the 5.9/6.7 is a proven platform.

Cross shopping the Rap and SD is tough but I love the new rap, used older SD option and it works great for what I need.