Anyone Cross Shop a Super Duty & Raptor???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlazinPond

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I decided to get out of my 2011 F150 Limited 6.2 (loved it!) I was set on getting the new F250 with the diesel. I also tow a car hauler about 6 to 8 times a year however my trailer is an aluminum open style that's about 2000lbs lighter than yours. But other than that the truck was going to be my commuter vehicle that I'd put ~20K miles a year on.

I really didn't like the look of the front end of the new F250's but overall they seemed like an absolutely awesome truck. I wanted to make sure I could live with it long-term so I traded my good friend for his for a week. I drove it for about a week and several hundred miles, always unladen. At the end of that week I knew 100% there was no way I was buying that truck. The ride was a complete beat-down. If I was constantly towing then hands down I'd be all over it. For commuting it sucked.

Then I started considering the Raptor and even though I don't use it as it's intended, I loved the truck, especially the looks (I know, shallow). When I do tow it's 'pretty ok'. It hauls the trailer fine but requires accurate placement of the car on the trailer for optimal balancing.

Overall, the best thing I did was drive that F250 for a while so that I'm now not always wondering whether I should've gone that route instead.

What a great forum.
Great comments and advice.

Now I am definitely leaning on keeping my Raptor.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again...I greatly appreciate it.

The salesman is gonna get me some info on exactly what the 'payload downgrade' means and if operator commanded Regen is an option to add on.

I'll also do some research into air bags. The Deavers and bump package is around $3k.

Thx again.

I would definitely go with the F250 you are looking at. I don't see too many issues pop up on those, so could be better just for that reason.
Also, why bother with the Regen package? There is no need for that. Drive it for 10k miles and then delete it. Plus, you open up quite a bit of performance doing it and you will be able to get mid 20s for mpg. The f250 is an all around win.

OP
OP
BlazinPond

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely go with the F250 you are looking at. I don't see too many issues pop up on those, so could be better just for that reason.
Also, why bother with the Regen package? There is no need for that. Drive it for 10k miles and then delete it. Plus, you open up quite a bit of performance doing it and you will be able to get mid 20s for mpg. The f250 is an all around win.

Thx. I am gonna at least let the salesman get back to me with trade price to see if it tips me one way or the other. I cannot stand the idea of losing a ton after one month of ownership but...

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will be very happy with the 250. I drove one and really liked it... They just were not dealing on them in mid-2017 when I was looking for something.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
You will be very happy with the 250. I drove one and really liked it... They just were not dealing on them in mid-2017 when I was looking for something.

kid icarus, do you own a Gen 2? I don't believe I have seen you reference what vehicle you drive. Please let us know how you formed your opinion. I drive my partners '18 King Ranch F250 several times a week now, and it makes me very unhappy. The ride is horrible compared to the Raptor, and worse (in my opinon) than the '17 Ram 2500 I just got rid of.

OP, do yourself a favor and go get whatever flavor HD F-truck you are considering, take it for a good long test drive, off the interstate, without a trailer. If the ride makes you "very happy," like the kid, you will know what to do.

If I had to haul something once a month, I would probably just do air bags and keep the stock springs. The air bags are going to do all the work when inflated anyway.

Blusmbl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diesels have a 5 year/100k warranty. I wouldn't void that by deleting it. I also like clean air and not blowing soot clouds everywhere I go!

Glad you're leaning towards keeping the Raptor for now. Unloaded it is a much, much more fun vehicle to drive.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The Raptor with the ecoboost is really the best all around choice, especially with the new 10 speed transmission.

kid icarus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The diesels have a 5 year/100k warranty. I wouldn't void that by deleting it. I also like clean air and not blowing soot clouds everywhere I go!

Glad you're leaning towards keeping the Raptor for now. Unloaded it is a much, much more fun vehicle to drive.

Two quick points:
1. Have you heard of anyone having a warranty denied due to delete?
2. You realize that the black soot smoke of coal rollers is due purely to tuning right? Deleting the truck has nothing to do with that.

mezger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the truck front, I have an old 2500hd dirtymax and the raptor.

The 2500hd is by far the superior tow rig, the raptor is by far the best offroad rig. Raptor rides 100x as good as the dirty; when unloaded, it bugs me how much stiffer the rear of the HD is than its front suspension... but there's something fun about tooling around in a big diesel, especially one with a few battle scars. If a lot of towing is involved, a big diesel is going to be better than the rap; it's what the truck's designed to do.

Not mentioned in this thread is the cool custom removable air shocks mod that's floating around in a few threads. IIRC, cost ~2k$, and looks to be a superior implementation than air bags or riding on bumps. If I ever sell the dirty, I'll probably do it to the rap.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two quick points:
1. Have you heard of anyone having a warranty denied due to delete?
2. You realize that the black soot smoke of coal rollers is due purely to tuning right? Deleting the truck has nothing to do with that.

Yes you will be denied warranty work on the engine if it is deleted. I know first hand.