Anyone consider/test drive a TRX, Gen 2 vs. Gen 3 Raptor, and Raptor R?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ive got a reservation for a Rivian, but its gonna take years, I wondered if a TRX would be a good stop gap, about to hit 90k miles on my Gen 2...

hellcat

Reaction score
Yeah, realistically speaking, the difference is going to be at minimum $30k+ between the two (if you order a TRX at discount through one of the handful of dealers offering those deals).
$30k…..a comparably equipped msrp TRX is more like a $5 difference, and that’s a 22.9C3CC27B-AB5A-4C35-9FDB-C7E4CEA242C1.jpeg9C3CC27B-AB5A-4C35-9FDB-C7E4CEA242C1.jpeg9C3CC27B-AB5A-4C35-9FDB-C7E4CEA242C1.jpeg

Attachments

• CFE77972-8215-4F7E-A27A-CF7EFE889138.jpeg
    CFE77972-8215-4F7E-A27A-CF7EFE889138.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 2

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I agree that if you can get a Raptor R at MSRP, it very well could be the better truck. The standard Raptor is a fantastic truck, and the R just turned up the volume on the truck. I really hope we get an honest TRX vs Raptor R review at some point.

CityHunter

Reaction score
$30k…..a comparably equipped msrp TRX is more like a $5 difference, and that’s a 22.View attachment 375741View attachment 375741View attachment 375741

What folks are saying here is that there are 5-8 prominent Ram dealerships across the country who are offering $10-$12k off MSRP on ordered TRXs. So if someone can wait 6-9 months on an order (what they'll likely be doing for a Raptor R anyways), then they'll see considerable savings over an R, which will virtually all be sold with a substantial ADM.

CityHunter

Reaction score
I agree that if you can get a Raptor R at MSRP, it very well could be the better truck. The standard Raptor is a fantastic truck, and the R just turned up the volume on the truck. I really hope we get an honest TRX vs Raptor R review at some point.

Pure MSRP to MSRP, there's no question (imo) that the Raptor R is the better valued truck. But at this point that scenario seems more theoretical than anything --- realistically, there's a huge gap in the price and availability difference between the two trucks, which is where the decision understandably get tricky for many potential buyers.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Pure MSRP to MSRP, there's no question (imo) that the Raptor R is the better valued truck. But at this point that scenario seems more theoretical than anything --- realistically, there's a huge gap in the price and availability difference between the two trucks, which is where the decision understandably get tricky for many potential buyers.
I agree, but whenever you bring up the discounted price when ordering a TRX to the ADM of a Raptor (and Raptor R) somebody always gets butt hurt and says you have to compare at MSRP. It’s a vicious cycle around here…

NickyF25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, but whenever you bring up the discounted price when ordering a TRX to the ADM of a Raptor (and Raptor R) somebody always gets butt hurt and says you have to compare at MSRP. It’s a vicious cycle around here…
MSRP to MSRP I agree the Raptor R is probably the better value truck, and what I would prefer if they were more available and at that price. The reality is anyone can get the discounted price on an ordered TRX and only a very few lucky ones will get MSRP on a Raptor R. Most will pay a large ADM. Fords archaic allocation system doesn’t do buyers any favors.

Last edited:

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re being way too generous and optimistic with 300 miles
I had a trx briefly and driving it normally I’d get 12.8-13.8MPG 60% highway. A tank would last me about 420 miles whereas my gen 3 is getting me about 570 a tank.

Yes the hemi squeak isn’t ideal but I would take that over the V6 exhaust in the raptor in anything other than quiet mode. So it’s one or the other unfortunately.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you load up a TRX like a R the price difference is almost negligible. MSRP on my 23 was over 103,000 so considering you are getting a loaded 37 at 109,000 isn’t that much of a stretch.
What package? I was a click away from ordering a Level 2 TRX from Koons for $89k, just two months ago. $103k sounds like the special edition Sand package or whatever it's called