Anyone consider/test drive a TRX, Gen 2 vs. Gen 3 Raptor, and Raptor R?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded my 2018 Raptor for a 21 TRX while I wait for my 21 37 Package Raptor to show up.

The TRX is definitely not a Raptor killer. Competitor? Yes. But not a killer.

There are a lot of things I like and a lot of things I don’t like about the TRX. But for the long cross country trips I like to do in remote areas, the extended fuel range of the Raptor is right for me.

To me, the TRX feels like it should’ve been lowered on 22” Ram SRT10 wheels, bigger brakes, and the same wider body - it feels geared towards more on-road. The center screen is terrible to use as you have to tap small buttons on multiple menus to navigate through it. The screen looks cool but it’s not very user friendly. You do get used to it after a while. The seats aren’t as comfortable as the Raptor. The headlights are much, much, better on the TRX, they broadcast light wider. Steering feels more sedan like in the TRX too, no dead spot and normal setting is perfect for resistance/weight. The exhaust note is amazing on the TRX, but sometimes you just want it to shut up - like if you have neighbors and it’s 1am, they’ll probably wake up if you start the truck.

Overall the TRX is definitely cool and it’s fun to drive. Just not something for me long term.

DocMarshall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are both cool trucks. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I opted for the Ford because of the extended range for trips as well. If it hadn't been for that, I may well be driving a TRX.

ihoffland

Full Access Member
Reaction score

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I traded my 2018 Raptor for a 21 TRX while I wait for my 21 37 Package Raptor to show up.

The TRX is definitely not a Raptor killer. Competitor? Yes. But not a killer.

There are a lot of things I like and a lot of things I don’t like about the TRX. But for the long cross country trips I like to do in remote areas, the extended fuel range of the Raptor is right for me.

To me, the TRX feels like it should’ve been lowered on 22” Ram SRT10 wheels, bigger brakes, and the same wider body - it feels geared towards more on-road. The center screen is terrible to use as you have to tap small buttons on multiple menus to navigate through it. The screen looks cool but it’s not very user friendly. You do get used to it after a while. The seats aren’t as comfortable as the Raptor. The headlights are much, much, better on the TRX, they broadcast light wider. Steering feels more sedan like in the TRX too, no dead spot and normal setting is perfect for resistance/weight. The exhaust note is amazing on the TRX, but sometimes you just want it to shut up - like if you have neighbors and it’s 1am, they’ll probably wake up if you start the truck.

Overall the TRX is definitely cool and it’s fun to drive. Just not something for me long term.
You’re not wrong about the center stack in the Ram (how hard is it to give me a few hard buttons) or the extended range with a Raptor. To me the TRX really needs a 40 gallon gas tank!

KillerBlackbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re not wrong about the center stack in the Ram (how hard is it to give me a few hard buttons) or the extended range with a Raptor. To me the TRX really needs a 40 gallon gas tank!

Yes! I feel like I’m searching through menus to turn the heated seats off or change the radio. It’s cool how customizable it is, but Ford nailed it with some nice analog controls so you’re not looking down for 6 seconds to turn the heat on.

If it had a 40 or 50 gallon tank I could live with the other things.

LouK

Full Access Member
Reaction score