Anyone consider/test drive a TRX, Gen 2 vs. Gen 3 Raptor, and Raptor R?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrTorque

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a TRX(it’s was built on10/21 but missing chips or something)on order after my 21 Raptor Deal didn’t go through. I ordered the TRX at 5k under but now with price increases it’s like 9k under. But here I am again Friday placed a order for a Raptor 37” again hopefully find out it went through today. Anyways reasons for wanting a Raptor over TRX….better looking IMO, 15 mpg vs 10mpg seems more sensible, stock 37’s= better off-road tool IMO, better tech with the blue cruise, Raptors seems to have better quality/reliability than TRX(a lot of problems from owners on the fb group and forums) and I think the Raptor will hold value better the way they are discounting TRX’s so much even during supply shortages seems weird.Oh and that squeak make the TRX sound like **** on a 80k truck…

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hard to argue with that. And as a lifelong ford guy, it kills me to admit that I may be venturing away with the value the trx offers

If you check out the TRX forums, you will see that 90% of TRX owners, were Raptor owners at one point.

We were in line for a gen3 and then dealers came out with there 9k off sticker on the trx. It made the truck cheaper than our gen 3. Was very hard to argue it at that point. For those pointing out quality issues and squeaks with the trx.. do we need to point to the blown engines and trans leaks from members who have taken delivery of there third gen? All manufacturers have issues and being on a forum it exacerbates them. As people rarely post daily saying “truck started this morning everything’s great” we love our current raptor and maybe someday will be back in one at some point.

Agreed. Every new production line has its issues and I have seen plenty of threads here regarding the Gen 3. Personally, I think they have more to do with the people that are building the trucks than the trucks/parts themselves as many of the reported problems on both platforms are QC-related. So far my TRX has been perfect.

LouK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is all this $9k off talk? Dealer contact? Asking for a friend.
They are still actively doing them
Granger,koons, and a few others are doing 9/10grand off sticker others are doing 4%under invoice I believe it was. Just look on the ramtrx forum. An entire thread dedicated to it.

shapiroeric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not one thing bad to say about my Gen 2 Raptor except I went through 4 oil pans in as many years.....for 75K miles it served me well.....the TRX is awesome though and having the hp on tap for passing is worth the price of admission....I was very very lucky to find a stock MSRP truck and am eagerly awaiting my $10K+ off 2022....

At least this thread hasn't gone off track yet....a lot of the TRX guys are former Raptor owners....The R will definitely be interesting but given the ADM history it will be going for well over $100K....

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha that sucks. Dudes on the other forum were talking about how it's embarrassing to sit at a stoplight with your $100kl truck squeaking like a jalopy.

You must have missed the 5,000+ posts here regarding engine shutter/chatter related to the Cam Phasers??

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not one thing bad to say about my Gen 2 Raptor except I went through 4 oil pans in as many years.....for 75K miles it served me well.....the TRX is awesome though and having the hp on tap for passing is worth the price of admission....I was very very lucky to find a stock MSRP truck and am eagerly awaiting my $10K+ off 2022....

At least this thread hasn't gone off track yet....a lot of the TRX guys are former Raptor owners....The R will definitely be interesting but given the ADM history it will be going for well over $100K....

You must have had one of the 2017/Early 2018s when they had plastic pans and plugs. Not sure what Ford was thinking with that but glad that changed that quickly mid-year 2018. I thought about selling my 21 TRX (Have had offers for more than what I paid) and ordering a 22 based on the current deals, but I already fell in love with my truck.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wish everyone pining for a V8 would just go buy a TRX and be done with it. It would send a message that even Ford couldn't miss. With all the garbage going on these days, an R for MSRP any time before 2024 is a pipe dream. Might as well drive the TRX for three years and then switch back. Given what StellFCADodge has done on other Hellcat vehicles, TRXs going for below invoice means that they're on the edge of being disco'ed. Might as well grab one while you can.